[SOA] SOA and the Emergency Disaster Assistance grant fund

George Bain bain@ohio.edu
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:54:36 -0400

Folks,
SOA President Jane Wildermuth has announced that SOA Council has approved a
proposal that SOA make a contribution from the treasury to the SSA-SAA
Emergency Disaster Assistance grant fund, with the hope that SOA members
will also make personal contributions which will leverage this
organizational donation. Members of Council have pledged a figure of $500
from the treasury. Are you as an individual member--and possibly your
colleagues who may not be members of SOA--willing to contribute in a modest
amount to the recovery efforts of repositories affected by hurricane
Katrina so that SOA can send in a total of $1000? There are already pledges
for more than $200, so it won't take that much extra to reach a combined
total figure of this $1000 amount.

Surely many have given to other organizations that meet the broader needs
of the affected population. But the thought behind this is to help out our
fraternal archivists and archival centers in Louisiana and Mississippi who
are trying to preserve our nation's documentary heritage and who need extra
help in fulfilling this work now.

If you are willing to do this, please send a message with a pledge amount
to SOA Treasurer Judith Wiener by October 14, this Friday. Her email
address is <wiener.3@osu.edu>; her mailing address is 642 Presidential Way,
Delaware, OH 43015. This way, SOA could make an announcement of its pledged
support at the conclusion of Archives Week. Payment on the pledges should
be turned in by the October 28 so the money can be advanced to SSA-SAA in a
timely fashion. What do you say? I hope you will respond positively to this
great need.
Best, George

________
George W. Bain
Head, The Robert E. and Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections
Ohio University Libraries, Athens, OH 45701-2978
Tel. 740.593.2713                               Fax 740.593.0138
Email <bain@ohio.edu>