[SOA] Fwd: Conference on Local History, Bowling Green

Janet Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 17 13:54:58 EST 2006

Date:         Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:34:54 -0000
Sender: H-Net Discussion List on History and Culture of Ohio
<H-OHIO at H-NET.MSU.EDU>
From: "H-Ohio Editor Sarah E. Miller" <smiller at MAIL.H-NET.MSU.EDU>
Subject: Conference on Local History, Bowling Green
To: H-OHIO at H-NET.MSU.EDU

The 2006 Conference on Local History will be held at Bowling Green State
University at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union Ballroom on Tuesday,
April 4, 2006, beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Plenary speaker Kevin McCray will discuss the journey of exploration and
discovery that resulted in his award-winning history of the 99th Ohio
Volunteer Infantry, a Civil War regiment.  "A Shouting of Orders,"
researched over a 10-year period, was honored with the Independent
Scholar Award at the 2005 Conference on Local History.

Our second speaker, Joyce Hayward, a technical diver from northern Ohio,
will speak on "History Beneath the Waves" as she relate examples of the
stories contained in shipwrecks, how shipwrecks are studied and
documented by divers working with historians, and how the appreciation of
shipwrecks enriches our understanding of our region's history.

Community history is the focus of our third speaker, Kimberly M.
Caldwell,speaking on "From Africa Town to Out Stickney: Reminiscences of
a Toledo, Ohio African-American Community."  Her presentation chronicles
the history of the long-time African-American presence in North Toledo.  In
the context of this vibrant community, she will trace the legacy of one
family, the Lawson's, from Dahomey, West Africa, to Mobile, Alabama's
AfricaTown, to North Toledo's Stickney community.

A highlight of the conference will be the presentation of this year's
Local History Publication Award in two categories, the Academic Scholar and
Independent Scholar.

Registration begins at 9:00.  Following the morning session, a luncheon
will be served in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union ballroom and is
included in the $25.00 registration fee.  Four hours of Continuing
Education credits are available to those requesting them at the time of
registration.  Between sessions, attendees are welcome to visit the
publications tables and exhibit area.  Free parking is available on
campus in Lot 20 near the Visitor Information Center.

Please RSVP by March 30, 2006 by registering at:

Center for Archival Collections
Conference on Local History
Phone: 419-372-2411
FAX:  419-372-0155
5th Floor, Jerome Library
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH  43403

A printable registration form is available at :
http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/register.html

More information about the conference is available online at:
http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/ac0603.html

Ms. Lee N. McLaird, Curator of Rare Books & Special Collections
Center for Archival Collections - 5th Floor, Jerome Library
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio  43403  (419) 372-2411  lmclair at bgnet.bgsu.edu

   Janet M. Carleton - <carleton at ohio.edu> - 740/597-2527
Digital Initiatives Coordinator / Women's Studies Bibliographer
      Alden 235A, Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
              <http://www.library.ohiou.edu/>