[SOA] UPDATE on History Outreach Funding INVITE to Rally For History- Thursday June 11th @ NOON

Angela O'Neal aoneal at ohiohistory.org
Thu Jun 4 15:03:51 EDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who has shown their support of the Ohio Historical
Society and contacted your State Senators about funding. To recap,
despite level funding in the Ohio House, the Senate cut the entire line
item (509) for the Society's Outreach and Partnerships efforts. This
includes History Day, the Ohio Historical Markers Program, and programs
that leverage federal and private funding for teacher training programs.
Funding for the transfer of sites to managed partner agreements was also
eliminated.

Here's the situation:

The Senate voted on the budget yesterday without restoring on funding
BUT our contact with state Senators and Representatives shows that our
message is being heard! Hundreds of people contact their legislators
over the last few days. We are getting positive feedback about our
message and need to keep the phone calls and e-mails coming.

What now?

The budget will go into conference committee where members from the
House, Senate and the Governor's office will reconcile differences in
the budget.  HERE is where our funding has the best chance of being
restored.

What can you do?

RALLY:

You are invited to "Rally For History" at the Ohio Historical Society in
Columbus on Thursday, June 11th at noon.  We will hold a public rally to
show how many people care about the programs that the state has been
cutting.  If you'd like to "stand up" and have your voice heard, come to
the Rally For History on Thursday.  Admission and parking to the Ohio
Historical Center are FREE!!  More details to follow.

EMAIL and CALL:

If you have already called and emailed your State Senator, call and
email your State Representative.  You can also call, write and email
Governor Strickland to show your support of restoring funding to the
Ohio Historical Society in budget line 509!  If you'd like to contact
all three at once, use our Legislative Action page:
http://capwiz.com/ohiohistory/home/

WATCH FOR UPDATES:

We will continually update the OHS Collections blog at
http://ohiohistory.wordpress.com <http://ohiohistory.wordpress.com/>  to
see what other action you can take.

Please feel free to contact me with questions and thanks for your
support!

Angela

Angela O'Neal
Manager, Preservation and Access Services Department
(614) 297-2576

<http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/>
www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY   Connect with the past. Create a better future.

Soul! Art from the National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Center

May 1, 2009 - February 28, 2010

www.ohiohistory.org/soul