[SOA] Spring Conference 2009

Ron Davidson ron.davidson at sandusky.lib.oh.us
Thu Jun 11 14:08:30 EDT 2009

Overall, the 2009 SOA Spring Conference was a success. Although the
attendance was not as high as hoped, we had a good number of members in
attendance each day, with a variety of panels and events. After expenses,
the proceeds from the conference generated a net income of nearly $500.

A financial statement for the conference is available for review at this
website: soaconferencereport.pbworks.com. Here is a summary of that report:
There were a total of at least 49 paid registrations. (There was a
discrepancy with about four online registrations that were not recorded,
which could add about $200 to the income totals).  Included in this total
were twelve one-day registrations, four student registrations, and two
non-member registrations, for a total of $2885 received in registration
fees.  Additionally, we had three paid sponsors, contributing a total of
$500. The largest expense was for catering services: $1911.70. Additionally,
the Ohio Historical Society was paid $398.50 for the facilities and
services.  Expenses relating to our plenary speaker, including airfare,
hotel, and meals, totaled $363.29. Other expenses (relating to mailings and
conference packets) were $246.31.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of applicants (only two registered), the
workshop programs scheduled for the day before the conference were
cancelled.

The evaluations for individual conference sessions are still being collated,
but I can report on the overall conference evaluations. (For any session
notetakers: we are still missing several session report forms. If you have
one, please send it to me asap.) Unfortunately, we only received ten
conference evaluation forms, so it is not clear whether this is an accurate
representation of opinion. (If you still would like to comment, feel free to
post a message, or you can anonymously mail comments to me at the address
below.) These reviews were generally positive, with the only major criticism
for the breaks and vendor fair.  (Too few vendors; too long breaks, with
inadequate snacks.) One commenter felt that we have the potential to attract
more vendors, suggesting a vendor subcommittee for planning.

The other categories of evaluation received nearly all 4 and 5 ratings, with
one 3 for each. The overall ranking was nearly unanimous, with eight 5s, one
4, and one between 4 and 5. Of the few forms with comments and suggestions
for next year, one recommended creating planning committees 3-5 years in
advance, with a separate committee for local arrangements. This commenter
and another recommended moving the Spring Conference to various sites around
the state each year, rather than keeping it in Columbus every year - with
the desire for expanding participation. Another commenter suggested creating
a system of mail and/or online balloting for council elections to allow for
participation of those unable to attend the membership meeting, noting that
those at the meeting are only a small percentage of the membership.

Other criticisms involved logistics - a lack of signage at the meeting rooms
(a mistake of omission by the planning committee; we had planned to do that,
but failed to follow through); a desire for rooms with computer workstations
for computer-oriented programs; and better time management for events.

I will conclude by adding my own suggestions: I will repeat what I stated at
the conference - I cannot emphasize enough that in order to have a quality
conference without difficulties, planning should begin as early as possible.
I was not joking when I suggested that the next committee should be forming
now. I hope that someone will take charge and begin managing that committee
very soon. I agree with the commenter who suggested planning years in
advance - we should be able to announce the date and location of the next
year's conference at the current meeting. And we must expand the attendance
- particularly by non-members and students. How we can do that, I don't have
any profound ideas, but I hope the next committee will work on it.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who attended the conference, and
especially the planning committee, whose hard work put the entire conference
together for us.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Ron Davidson

Archives Librarian

Sandusky Library

114 W. Adams St.