[SOA] Congressional Records Inquiry

Emily Lockhart elockha1 at kent.edu
Wed Dec 8 14:14:32 EST 2010

Please see message below for research inquiry.  Please respond directly to
Richard Aynes (inquirer).  Thank you!

We are looking for correspondence between Ohio Congressman John A. Bingham
(1815-1900) and Rev. Titus Basfield (18??-1881). They were classmates at the
former Franklin College, Harrison County, Ohio and correspondence is said to
exist between them from 1848-1875.  The late historian, Irving Beauregard,
indicated that such letters were held in the Lloyd E. Martin Collection,
Portsmouth, Ohio. However, no one except Prof. Beauregard has seen the
letters and for over 25 years no one has been able to locate them. There is
a rumor that Martin sold the papers to John Campbell of Harrison County.
Yet, we are wondering if Martin or Campbell may have donated the papers to
any college in Ohio.  Consequently we are asking about any papers of John A.
Bingham or Titus Basfield and any donations of papers by Lloyd E. Martin or
John Campbell to the archives.

Thanks,

Dick

Richard L. Aynes

John F. Seiberling Chair in Constitutional Law

Director, Constitutional Law Center

School of Law

University of Akron

Akron, Ohio 44325-2901