[SOA] organizing slides

Barb Sedlock bsedlock at defiance.edu
Thu Oct 14 08:34:44 EDT 2010

I am new to this list, so if it's been discussed before, apologizes for
requesting a repeat.

I'm about to start organizing our slide collection.  I'd like to know how
you provide subject access to your slides.  Do you file them by subject, or
do you file them in order as acquired and provide subject access in a
different way, like via a computer or paper file?

Our loose photograph (prints) are filed in the vault in order of
acquisition, and subject access for browsing purposes is provided by
photocopies filed in 3-ring binders.  Patrons browse through those till they
find the ones they want, and then ask me to retrieve the numbered photos
from the vault.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the slides.  You can't make usable
photocopies of them for browsing purposes, so it'll have to be a different
filing system.

Thanks,

Barb Sedlock

bsedlock at defiance.edu