[SOA] Almost Outta Time to register for Outta Space

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Wed May 9 13:23:58 EDT 2012

Please excuse multiple postings

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD276D.5A718500]

Outta Space:  Best Practices in Storage and Space Planning

There is still time to register

Description: The Ohio Connecting to Collections Survey identified inadequate storage space for cultural heritage collections as the Number One preservation problem statewide. This day long workshop will provide ideas and best practices on how to address space issues at your institution. Professionals from the library, museum, archives, and historical society and conservation communities will discuss how they evaluated space concerns at their institutions and the space planning methodologies and practices they have adopted. Featured speakers include Wes Boomgaarden, Associate Professor and Preservation Officer for The Ohio State University Libraries, who will provide the keynote, and national expert on facilities design for special collections Christian Dupont, providing practical advice on space and workflow.

The Cincinnati session held in May produced positive comments such as:  "I will present the information to colleagues and leaders and work towards these implementing storage practices at my institutions."  "I feel more confident in my decisions."  "I will remember the mantra, 'space constraints cannot be the decision driver in the long term.'"  Come to learn and to share.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Akron-Summit County Public Library

9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

In conjunction with the Ohio Preservation Council spring meeting

Registration closes May 8, 2012

Registration for the conference is free. There is a fee for parking and an optional box lunch.
For more information, registration, and to view a preliminary agenda, go to: http://www.ohiomuseums.org/workshops.html

Conference Sponsors:  State Library of Ohio, Ohio Museums Association, Ohio Historical Society, Ohio Local History Alliance, Ohio Preservation Council

Conference made possible by federal Institute of Museum and Library Services funds, awarded by the State Library of Ohio.

Shannon Kupfer, Digital/Tangible Media Cataloger
State Library of Ohio
Phone: 614.995.4115
Fax: 614.644.7004
www.library.ohio.gov<http://www.library.ohio.gov/>

The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist state government and libraries in providing the best service to all.