[SOA] SAA museum archives section working group

Susan Miller sMiller at clevelandart.org
Tue May 29 15:04:47 EDT 2012

Hello Ohio Archivists,

It was great to meet some of you at the SOA meeting.  I am part of the Society of American Archivists Museum Section working group and as part of this work I am looking for examples of museum records policies to share on the section's website.  So far I haven't gotten any examples from Ohio, so I thought I'd give this list a try.  The text below explains more about the working group.  If you have a document to share, or have any ideas about people I should contact please let me know.  Thanks!!

The SAA Museum Archives Section Working Group is dedicated to creating an online tool for the museum archives community to aid in resource-sharing across institutions. Currently, eleven Working Group members including myself are gathering examples of forms, policies, and procedures to populate our online resource. We are basing our collecting on the categories established by the "Museum Archives Guidelines," which were approved in 2003 and are currently available through the SAA standards portal: http://www2.archivists.org/standards/museum-archives-guidelines. Use of the SAA standards portal as our online platform will allow integration of our project into the goals of the SAA community.

As a Museum Archives Section Working Group member, I am responsible for collecting examples of section 8, "Current Records." I am hoping that you are willing to share sample policies and guidelines from your institution.  I am looking for documents like records management policies (excluding records schedules), electronic records policies, and policies regarding non-custodial situations.

>From the documents I gather, I will be selecting five examples of best practices to upload to the SAA standards portal. All documents uploaded to the portal will be available to the public. Please note that not all of the documents that I collect will be uploaded to our site; I will be selecting diverse examples to share online and to make available to the public. It is important to our Working Group that the resources selected for sharing represent different types of museums, from many regions.

If you are unable to provide us with examples of current records policies and guidelines but are able to share another type of document, please let me know. My colleagues are collecting examples of mission statements, processing manuals, access policies, records retention schedules, etc. I would be happy to put one of my colleagues in contact with you if you have other resources that you would like to share.

Best,
Susan

Susan Miller
Electronic Records Archivist