[SOA] Cincinnati Christ Hospital Archivist position

Christine Engels CEngels at cincymuseum.org
Thu Aug 15 13:49:56 EDT 2013

Please do not respond to me but to Regina Hartman.
Regina M. Hartman
Library Manager
The Christ Hospital
James N. Gamble Library
2139 Auburn Avenue
Cincinnati, OH  45219

Phone:  (513)585-2773
Fax:      (513)585-4353
Email:   regina.hartman at thechristhospital.com<blocked::mailto:regina.hartman at thechristhospital.com>

5/6/2013

Job Title:

Archivist

Job Code:

Department:

Medical Library

8016

8016

ExCELS Core Values

EXCELLENCE

We are committed to providing the highest quality service to meet the needs of our patients, employees, physicians, and community. This commitment is reflected in all that we do.

COMPASSION

We work to understand and exceed the diverse expectations of those we serve. We understand their most basic expectation is to be treated with courtesy, respect, empathy, and dignity.

EFFICIENCY
We persistently strive to provide timely and seamless access to services, resulting in high-quality outcomes, strong performance, increased satisfaction and a safe environment.

LEADERSHIP

We each play an integral role in the progression of the organization. Our words and actions serve as examples to guide others. As leaders, we must constantly grow and pave a path for others to do the same.

SAFETY

We use all resources at our disposal to ensure the safety of those we serve.

Please state the main function of this position in one or two sentences.
PRIMARY PURPOSE:
Responsible for collecting, preserving and making accessible historic records of enduring value from the Elizabeth Gamble Deaconess Home Association, The Christ Hospital and The Christ College of Nursing and Health Sciences.

Expand upon the Primary Purpose by describing duties and responsibilities for which the position is accountable, in order of importance.  Estimate the percentage of time spent on each activity.  The total should equal 100%.  Indicate with an "X" in the "Essential Function?" Column if the duty listed is considered an Essential Function.  An "essential function" is a job duty or responsibility, which is basic to the position's primary purpose and, if eliminated, would substantially alter the position.

SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Place in order by percentage of time spent on the function from highest to lowest.  (For example: 50%, 30%, 15% etc...)

Essential Function

Duties and Responsibilities

% Of Time

Organize, process, catalog and conserve historical records and items from EGDHA, TCH and TCCNHS according to current archival standards.

45

Determine equipment, software and storage needs for preservation of archived collection.

10

Create MARC records for archival material for inclusion in James N. Gamble Library online catalog.

20

Determine appropriateness of items for digitization and create digital archive along with finding aids.

10

Develop internal and external circulation policies for physical and digital access to archived materials.

5

Recommend processes for ongoing care and maintenance of archive collection.

5

Develop plan for future acquisitions, additional content.

5

RELATIONSHIPS, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND REQUIREMENTS

ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS:
The title of this position's immediate supervisor:

1.    Library Manager

Job titles of persons reporting to this position, if any:

2.    None

Number of employees supervised:                                        Directly:           None
                                                                                                Indirectly:        None

FINANCIAL IMPACT AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

Please describe any monetary responsibility of this job, such as budget development or monitoring, financial projections, billing, handling cash, etc.  Please give specific dollar amounts whenever possible.

KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:

Please describe any specialized knowledge or skills, which are REQUIRED to perform the position duties.  Do not personalize the job description, credentials, or knowledge and skills based on the current associate.  List any special education required for this position.

EDUCATION:       ALA accredited M.L.S. or M.L.I.S. preferred OR Master's degree in History with relevant coursework in archival administration.

YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:  1-2

REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:      Significant experience in an archive, digital collection, manuscript collection, museum or other records preservation environment.  Knowledge of MARC, archival standards issues, practices and trends and software.   Excellent organizational and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders.  Ability to analyze project requirements and prepare work estimates.

LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
List any certifications and licenses required to perform this position.

PATIENT CONTACT:   Please describe necessary training/skills, which are required to provide assessment, treatment or care for patients of all ages with additional education focused on the treatment or care of (newborn, infant, adolescent, adult, geriatric) patients. Please enter the specific age group, if appropriate.

Additional Comments:  There is evidence that exist that The Christ Hospital staff considers the special needs and behaviors of the specific patient populations served. Evidence also exist that shows the staff demonstrates those competencies that address the unique characteristics related to development, physical, psychosocial, mental, emotional, and social needs of patients across the life span. Employees should also be able to demonstrate those competencies that address the needs of patients with unique cultural norms, religious preferences, language/communication barriers and/or literacy limitations.

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Review each statement and check all that apply and state the percent of time required for each activity.
ACTIVITY

DESCRIPTION

% OF TIME

CLIMBING

Ascending or descending stairs, ladders, ramps, etc., using feet and legs and /or hands and arms

5

STOOPING

Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.

10

KNEELING

Bending legs at knees.

10

REACHING

Extending arms and hands in any direction.

10

STANDING

Particularly for sustained periods of time.

5

WALKING

Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.

10

PUSHING

Use of upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to move something forward, downward or outward.  ("Click appropriate box to select")
  0 - 10 lbs
11-20 lbs
21-50 lbs
51 lbs or more

10

PULLING

Use of upper extremities to drag, haul or tug objects.

10

LIFTING

Raising objects from a lower to a higher position, requiring the use of upper extremities, back muscles, and legs.  ("Click appropriate box to select")
  0 - 10 lbs
11-20 lbs
21-50 lbs
51 lbs or more

10

CARRYING

Holding and moving/transporting an object about.  ("Click appropriate box to select")
  0 - 10 lbs
11-20 lbs
21-50 lbs
51 lbs or more

10

FINGERING

Picking, pinching, typing, primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand or arm as in handling.

25

FEELING

Perceiving attributes of object-shapes, size, temperature, texture-by touching with skin, particularly that of using fingertips.

100

TALKING

Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken
word.  Must convey detailed or spoken instructions to others
accurately, loudly or quickly.

25

HEARING

The process of perceiving the nature of sounds. Receives information through oral communication.

100

SEEING

The process of perceiving objects by use of the eyes-position, shape, color, depth perception, visual inspection.

100

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Please describe any other important aspects of this job that have not been covered by the previous questions.

WRITTEN BY:
            SIGNATURE: _     ______DATE: May 6, 2013_________________

            PRINT:  Regina M. Hartman_________

APPROVED BY:
            SIGNATURE:      ______ DATE:      _________________

            PRINT:       _________

REVIEW DATE:      ________

MANAGERIAL/SUPERVISORY DUTIES:  Please check all that apply.  (Double click appropriate box and select "checked")

Interview candidates for openings and make hiring recommendations or hiring decisions.

Ensure that new employees are properly oriented and are aware of the performance expectations for their position.

Plan, delegate and organize work assignments and special projects with staff.

Establish work goals or quantitative/qualitative standards to be achieved with staff input.

Evaluate staff's performance and provide feedback.

Commend staff for good performance and recommend corrective action as warranted.

Maintain a motivational and supportive working environment for staff

Recommend promotions, transfers, demotions or discharges.

Communicate and administer personnel programs and procedures of area in accordance with approved policies.

Meet managerial objectives set by Administrative Representative.

Provide opportunities for employee development through in-services and continuing education.

Periodically analyze the workload and the human resource needs of the department.

Recommend increases and decreases in staff.

Train, develop and motivate employees to maintain desired performance standards and to prepare for other job opportunities.

Conduct monthly staff meetings to inform employees of organizational development necessary for their job responsibilities.

Life is too big to fit into a classroom. Support lifelong inspiration by making a gift to Cincinnati Museum Center today! To donate now copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://www.cincymuseum.org/support/annual