[SOA] FW: ALAO 2014 -- Call for Proposals has been extended!

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Wed May 28 16:31:56 EDT 2014

From: OH Valley Group of Technical Svcs Librarians [mailto:OVGTSL at LSV.UKY.EDU] On Behalf Of Alisa Mizikar
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:05 PM
To: OVGTSL at LSV.UKY.EDU
Subject: ALAO 2014 -- Call for Proposals has been extended!

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF7A8B.6FCFB5C0]The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) Conference Planning Committee invites you to submit proposals for the 40th Annual Conference, which will take place on November 13-14, 2014 at the Kalahari Resort & Convention Center in Sandusky, OH.

The submission deadline for full-length sessions has been extended to June 9, 2014.

Presentations may take the form of contributed papers, demonstrations, workshops, research results, panel discussions, etc. Submit your proposals to: http://bit.ly/1rxFVff

Applicants are encouraged to develop sessions that show thoughtful consideration of this year's conference theme, "Engagement, advocacy and outreach: Empowering our communities," which seeks to explore how academic libraries and librarians empower our communities in all the ways that we do. We would love to learn about your ideas, experiences, solutions, and best practices - even those that yielded results that were different than expected!

Presentations may take the form of contributed papers, demonstrations, workshops, research results, panel discussions, etc. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

Engagement

*       Library contributions to student retention and success

*       Rethinking our work and services to meet the needs of our communities

*       Using spaces, exhibits, displays, and/or social media to engage users in new ways

*       Creating innovative librarian/faculty partnerships in support of curricular initiatives

Advocacy

*       Partnering with stake-holders and decision-makers to develop effective messages regarding library value

*       Using data to inform academic library advocacy efforts

*       Influencing higher education policy and legislation at local, state, and national levels

Outreach

*       Collaborating with community and institutional partners

*       Reaching special student populations (veterans, international students, distance learners, etc.)

*       Programs and initiatives that have worked (or not!)

Submission guidelines You may submit multiple proposals, however, no more than two will be included in the final program.

*       Submit your proposal online.

*       All proposals will be blind-reviewed for content, relevance to the conference theme, and overall appeal. A concise, clearly written description and abstract will help the reviewers in evaluating your proposal. See our presentation guidelines page for assistance and tips.

*       Exclude the name of your institution, department and any personal names in the abstract to expedite the blind review process. You do not need to exclude this information in the brief description.

*       You will be contacted regarding your AV/technology requirements when your proposal is accepted.

*       All presenters are responsible for their own registration and travel costs.

*       Please print a copy of the completed form for your records before submitting.

*       You will receive an email confirmation upon submission. If you do not receive confirmation, or have questions about your submission, please contact Diane Schrecker (Ashland University Library) by email: alao.cpc at gmail.com<mailto:alao.cpc at gmail.com>.

Presenter grants ALAO encourages library support staff and library student growth, career development, and participation in conference activities, and awards two presenter grants, one for support staff and the other for students. These grants (up to $150 each) are intended to assist with the costs incurred in preparing the presentation and modest travel costs associated with the presentation.
Please note that only presenters of full-length sessions and posters selected for inclusion in the conference will be eligible for final consideration for the grant. Additional information is available on the conference website.

Questions about the conference can be directed to:
Eboni Johnson, ALAO Vice President
ejohnson at oberlin.edu<mailto:ejohnson at oberlin.edu>