[SOA] counting visitors to exhibits

Tallman, Nathan (tallmann) tallmann at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon Dec 7 12:31:15 EST 2015

Lisa,

Although it's not a fully automated solution, you may want to take a look at Suma from NC State. It's an open-source, mobile-based assessment toolkit. One of their original concepts was a staff person with a hip attached iPad casually walking around and tapping a large button on the iPad to indicate body counts for usage.

                https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/reports/suma

You could also use a wifi button<https://flic.io/> that when pressed adds a count or row to something like a Google Doc, but people (and kids) might press the button more than once; though it could be used be a staff greater. There is some cool research going on with using wifi signals to detect people through things similar to heatmaps/sonar, even through walls. Perhaps one day that could be used to count persons visiting an exhibition, but I don't think it's at that point yet!

Nathan