[SOA] AERI 2016--Day registrations now open!

GRACY, KAREN F kgracy at kent.edu
Thu May 19 10:43:57 EDT 2016

Please feel free to forward this announcement to those who may be interested.  Apologies for any duplication of postings.  Thanks!

***************************************

Dear Ohio archives community members,

The day registration period is now open for the eighth annual Archival Education and Research Institute (AERI), which will be hosted by the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, USA from July 8 to July 12, 2016.  Day registrations are aimed at masters students, working professionals and independent scholars who would like to experience AERI but cannot commit to attendance for the full week.

Interested?  To see what’s planned for this year’s conference, check out our draft program found at https://www.kent.edu/aeri2016/program.

How to Register

To register for one or more days of attendance at AERI, please visit our website at https://www.kent.edu/aeri2016/aeri-2016-day-registration. The charge for day registration is $40 per day.  The fee will include a day pass for parking, as well as morning and afternoon teas, and lunch. Please note that the day registration fee does not include any evening events, or the tour on Monday, July 11th to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (the latter is a separate charge). Day registrations will be accepted until June 27, 2016 (please note that we are unable to register onsite during the conference).

Information about AERI

The Institute is sponsored by the Archival Education and Research Initiative, which is a collaborative effort amongst academic institutions to support the growth of a new generation of academics in archival and recordkeeping education and research who are versed in contemporary issues and knowledgeable of the work being conducted by colleagues. The initiative seeks to promote state-of-the-art in scholarship in Archival Studies, broadly conceived, as well as to encourage curricular and pedagogical innovation in archival education locally and worldwide  (http://aeri.website).

Conference facilities: Most AERI sessions will be held in the University Library building, which is also home to the School of Library and Information Science.  Our building features many classrooms, meeting spaces, and places for plenaries and receptions.  And the Library is mere steps away from the Kent Student Center, where you will find the University bookstore, casual dining, and the cafeteria where attendees will have breakfast.

Overnight Accommodations:  Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate day registrants in our dormitories, but day registrants who would like to stay overnight are encouraged to look at our off-campus accommodations page on the website (found at: https://www.kent.edu/aeri2016/accommodations).

Directions:  Please check out driving directions and campus maps at https://www.kent.edu/aeri2016/logistics.

Local dining:  Downtown Kent is currently experiencing a revival, kickstarted by the University’s development of a hotel and conference center in the area.  Kent features numerous restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and shopping destinations (see http://www.mainstreetkent.org) where you can take an opportunity to relax in between sessions and in the evening.

Mini-tours:  AERI participants attending on Friday, July 8, 2016 are welcome to attend tours planned for campus destinations such as the May 4 Center, the Kent State Museum, and KSU Special Collections and University Archives.

AERI 2016 looks forward to a dynamic conference that brings together national and international scholars engaged in Archival Studies. For general questions and inquiries please email kgracy at kent.edu<mailto:kgracy at kent.edu> or lgibbon3 at kent.edu<mailto:lgibbon3 at kent.edu>. Additional information about the conference is available at aeri2016.kent.edu<http://aeri2016.kent.edu>, and will also be distributed via our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/aeri2016/). We also encourage everyone to use the official conference Twitter hashtag (#aeri2016) to communicate their enthusiasm!

Sincerely,

Karen F. Gracy
Program Co-Chair, AERI 2016
Associate Professor, School of Library and Information Science, Kent State University
kgracy at kent.edu<mailto:kgracy at kent.edu>

Leisa Gibbons
Program Co-Chair, AERI 2016
Assistant Professor, School of Libr