[SOA] OhioDIG 9/29 registration open for Making it Count: Possibilities, challenges and current practices in assessing cultural heritage digitization

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Tue Sep 20 12:25:49 EDT 2016

Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group on our September meeting at the Columbus Metro Main Library on Thursday, September 29, 2016.
Presentation: "Making it count: Possibilities, challenges and current practices in assessing cultural heritage digitization"
- Speakers:
- Emily Shaw (The Ohio State University)
- Marcus Ladd (Miami University)
- Barb Sedlock (Defiance College)
- Tanya Maus (Peace Resource Center, Wilmington College)
- Synopsis: How can we assess the impact of our digitization activities? How can we assert the value and justify the resources needed to create, preserve and provide access to digitized collections? This session will look at the possibilities, challenges and current practices for assessing the value and impact of digitization and digital collections in libraries, archives, museums and other cultural heritage organizations. Panelists will provide an overview of the methods, metrics and current work in this area, present the aggregate results from the most recent OhioDIG Digital Collections Analytics Survey, and review some of our institutions' real digitized collections with any eye toward assessment. There will be lots of time for open discussion.
If you'd like to get some additional grounding in this topic before the meeting, you might take a look through the Digital Library Federation's Assessment Interest Group wiki (https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://wiki.diglib.org/Assessment&sa=D&ust=1474253773799000&usg=AFQjCNEP-qmvjbmlBaEt2-7ShzvoVfmXrw>)
- Hosts: Angela O'Neal & Aaron O'Donovan, Columbus Metro Library
- Food: Coffee & snacks will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the refreshment kitty.
Please register by Tuesday 9/27, 5pm at https://goo.gl/forms/7zVdBIDdiwwgH2g23

THURS Sept 29 AGENDA
- 10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
- 10:30-11:30 presentation and discussion on topic;
- 11:30-11:45 break;
- 11:45-1:00 brown bag lunch: announcements, all-attendee updates, discussion;
- 1:00 optional: Tour Local History & Genealogy Division (1 hr);
- 2:00 optional: Tour Main Library, general (45 min).
TOURS: Following the meeting, there will be 2 tours of the Main Library.
Tour 1 @1pm. Join the staff of the Local History & Genealogy Division for a tour of the newly-renovated space in Main Library. Visit Main Library's new Digital Lab with an emphasis on equipment and digitization procedures. The tour will also include an introduction to the local history and genealogy collections and public areas. (1 hour)
Tour 2 @ 2pm. The Main Library recently underwent a $35 million renovation that opened up the space and highlighted views of downtown and the Topiary Park. This general tour of Main Library includes the nonfiction, fiction, teen, children's and meeting spaces. ( 45 min.)
Location: Columbus Metro Library, Main Library, 96 S. Grant Ave, Columbus, OH 43215
Directions: http://www.columbuslibrary.org/locations/Main%20Library<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.columbuslibrary.org/locations/Main%2520Library&sa=D&ust=1474253773799000&usg=AFQjCNHMgjd5t-YUAJo30itIRUxYMJ92BA>
Parking: There is an attached pay parking garage on the West side of the library.

Ohio Digitization Interest Group - http://ohiodig.org/

Sub/unsub from the List at http://ohiodig.org/listserv.html

| http://ohiodig.org/resources.html |

| Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OhioDIG/ | Flickr:

| https://www.flickr.com/ohiodig/ | Twitter:

| https://twitter.com/hashtag/ohiodig |

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to those with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. We meet every other month, primarily in central Ohio (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov).

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | http://media.library.ohiou.edu | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/