[SOA] Save the date - SOA annual meeting May 19

Carleton, Janet via OHIOARCHIVISTS ohioarchivists at lists.oplin.org
Mon Feb 20 10:53:52 EST 2017

Save the Date!

We have some especially great content this year, on a wide range of topics, and in various formats. Thanks to all of our colleagues willing to share their expertise!

Society of Ohio Archivists 2017 Annual Meeting
Keeping History Alive

Registration coming soon at http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/

TENTATIVE Schedule:

Thursday, May 18, 2017, 1-5pm - Ohio History Connection, Columbus
Preconference Workshop - Creating Easy & Inexpensive Exhibit Mounts for Flat Archival Materials. Hands-on with Ohio Preservation Council members.

Friday, May 19, 2017, 8:30-5pm - Quest Conference Center, Columbus (Polaris)
Annual Meeting

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D28B67.9EEB2A70]
Plenary - A Passion for Public Service. Kathleen Williams, executive director, the National Historical Publications and Records Commission<https://www.archives.gov/nhprc>.
Williams will speak on how through the work, the holdings, and the audiences we serve, archivists can claim a powerful and legitimate place in fulfilling a great public interest, now more than ever.

  *   Session 1 - Panel: Collaboration in the Archives:
     *   How to Merge with Sustainability. William Modrow & Jacky Johnson, Miami University
     *   Living Seeds of History: The John Stokes & Mary's Gardens Exhibit. Stephanie Shreffler & Kayla Harris, University of Dayton

  *   Session 2 - Mini-Workshop: Accessibility in the Archives: Are your Online Materials Compliant? Shelley Blundell, Youngstown State University & Tammy Stitz, University of Akron

  *   Session 3 - Panel: Digitization and Outreach--Involving the Community:
     *   Celebrating Our Common Heritage. Jillian Carney, Ohio History Connection & Jennie Thomas, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum
     *   Discover-Explore-Connect: Teaching with Primary Sources in the Natural Science. Wendy Wassman, Cleveland Museum of Natural History

  *   Session 4 - Mini-Workshop: Naming Rights or Sponsorships? Which Funding Option is Best for Your Archives or Project? Edmund Rossman, Shaker Library

  *   Session 5a-5d - World Café:
     *   Capitalizing Discovery on Social Media. Jennifer Baker & Jen Haney, Warren County Records Center and Archives
     *   Check-Up: A Preliminary Assessment of the Vitality of Regional Archival Associations. George Bain, Ohio University, retired.
     *   Keeping History Alive: A Sabbatical Case Study. Joan Plungis, University of Dayton
     *   Linked Open Data and Special Collections. Libby Hertenstein & Lindy Smith, Bowling Green State University

  *   Session 6 - Panel: Preservation and Migration: MOMMY: Master Objects Metadata and Migration-Yeah! Darnelle Melvin & Dan Noonan & The Ohio State University

  *   Session 7 - Forum: Ask a Preservation Professional. Ohio Preservation Council members

  *   Session 8 - Panel: "I Judge Him to be Insane:" Ethical and Practical Considerations in the Digitization of Historical Medical Records. Karmen Beecroft & Stacey Lavender, Ohio University

  *   Session 9 - Forum: Let's Talk Numbers: Forum on Digital Collections Analytics in Ohio. Marcus Ladd, Miami University

  *   SOA Business Meeting

POSTERS

  *   But What Do We Put in the Cases? Identifying and Selecting Exhibit Materials at a Small Archives.  Jolie Braun, The Ohio State University

  *   DPLA & the Ohio Digital Network: Opening new doors for cultural heritage collections. Jen Johnson & Missy Lodge, State Library of Ohio

  *   Helping Archives Students Connect the Dots: Exploring the Role of Internships and Active Learning Experiences in Achieving Program Learning Objectives at Kent State University. Karen Gracy, Kent State University

  *   The Story of Chief Leatherlips: Cultural Heritage Informatics as a Research & Fact-Finding Method. Madeleine Fix

  *   Water Emergency Response for Aqueous Inkjet Prints. Ivey Barker

Janet Carleton & Collette McDonough
Cochairs
Society of Ohio Archivists Educational Programming Committee
http://www.ohioarchivists.org/educational-programming/
http://www.ohioarchivists.org/annual_conference/

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | http://media.library.ohiou.edu | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/