[SOA] FW: NCH News Update: Budget Battles and Researcher Rules

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:59:07 EST 2018

From: National Coalition for History [mailto:lwhite=historycoalition.org at mail98.atl161.mcsv.net] On Behalf Of National Coalition for History
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 12:12 PM
To: Carleton, Janet <carleton at ohio.edu>
Subject: NCH News Update: Budget Battles and Researcher Rules

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878/images/49919ee0-1820-4d3f-a50d-7306b2a58bd2.jpg]<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=0ab1e3d89c&e=994dc209a0>

NEWS UPDATE

Deal Struck on FY18 Federal Budget; FY19 Process About to Begin

Early on the morning of February 9th, after a very brief shutdown, Congress passed yet another continuing resolution<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=a04f75ac11&e=994dc209a0> to keep the government funded through March 23rd.

This cycle of short-term, stopgap funding has become all too familiar. The bill provides a $296 billion increase in discretionary spending caps over the next two years, and it should pave the way for a final FY18 omnibus spending package to pass before the next deadline. The increase includes $63 billion in nondefense discretionary spending this year and $69 billion next year. While we do not yet have final FY18 numbers for key history-related agencies and programs like NEH, IMLS, or the National Archives, the increased cap means it is unlikely we will see any dramatic cuts this late in the budget process.

Even though the FY18 budget has not been finalized, President Trump's FY19 budget request is due to Congress next week. Thankfully, the two-year increase in the spending cap means that massive budget reductions for FY19 are also unlikely. Trump may propose draconian cuts again this year, but Congress will almost certainly ignore them.

National Archives Ends Researcher Team Cards

Earlier this week, the National Archives announced that, due to a recent theft of records at one of their facilities, they will no longer issue team research cards<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=1ea9d41f5a&e=994dc209a0> or allow the sharing of record pulls<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=3463fd71c1&e=994dc209a0>. This means that only one person's name can be on a reference request, and only that individual can use those records, dramatically hampering collaboration and team research in National Archives facilities. NCH opposes this move and we have contacted senior management at the Archives to express our concerns.

This change, as well as the elimination of Saturday research hours<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=8ebdc02dd2&e=994dc209a0> last year, is partly due to NARA having to make tough decisions about how to allocate scarce resources. With the FY18 budget wrapping up and the FY19 process about to begin, it is crucial that we continue to advocate for increased funding for the Archives so that they can better serve historians and other researchers.

[Facebook]<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=0e05535662&e=994dc209a0>

Facebook<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=540f612adc&e=994dc209a0>

[Twitter]<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=60359afd95&e=994dc209a0>

Twitter<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=c8070a8372&e=994dc209a0>

[Website]<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=bde03aa19b&e=994dc209a0>

Website<https://historycoalition.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=08692bfb14b4b62cef6bb2878&id=7ae6f088e6&e=994dc209a0>

Copyright © 2018 National Coalition for History, All rights reserved.
You have signed up for this newsletter via membership or on our website, historycoalition.org.

Our mailing address is:
National Coalition for History
400 A Street SE
Washington, DC 20005