[SOA] Special Collections Symposium

Ed Vermue ed.vermue at oberlin.edu
Sun Feb 16 15:11:00 EST 2020

Oberlin College Libraries Department of Special Collections is hosting a
1.5 day symposium on March 13th and March 14th 2020.  This is the second
call for interest.

For registration and a full schedule see here:

https://advance.oberlin.edu/events/2020/03/13/teaching-and-learning-with-objects-for-college-librarians-archivists-and-community-curators-symposium

The theme of the symposium will focus on building and teaching with
material  collections of objects, and will rely primarily on the holdings
and spaces of our own Special Collections and College Archives. Our
intended audience is targeted at those who support small liberal arts and
special mission colleges with limited financial and collections resources.
We seek to convene librarians, curators, and archivists from around the
region and the country with an interest in exploring and enhancing
objects-based pedagogy on their campuses.

In the last decade Oberlin College Libraries have invested heavily in
building collections of textual and visual media that allow students to
interact kinetically with crafts such as papermaking, calligraphy and
manuscript decoration, printing, binding, and pre-cinematic visual media.
We supplement the Class interactions take the form of demonstrations, labs,
creative work, and January intensives.

The underlying question many of us have been more quietly asking concerns
the changing nature of Special Collections Departments and staff in the
liberal arts setting. Our feedback from faculty and students at Oberlin has
been very encouraging, so we're offering to reach out to others to network,
and help us share ideas and stories.

Feel free to use your own personal networks to share this message with
colleagues who you think might be interested in joining us.

For more information about the symposium, or just to share thoughts, please
contact me personally at: ed.vermue at oberlin.edu

--
Ed Vermue
Special Collections and Preservation Librarian
ed.vermue at oberlin.edu
www.oberlin.edu/library/special/

tolle lege