[SOA] Fwd: Regional Archival Associations Consortium RAAC Digest for Monday February 6, 2023

Collette McDonough collette.mcdonough at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 09:04:40 EST 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Society of American Archivists <DoNotReply at connectedcommunity.org>
Date: Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 5:10 AM
Subject: Regional Archival Associations Consortium RAAC Digest for Monday
February 6, 2023
To: <collette.mcdonough at gmail.com>

1 new thread from 1 author in the "Regional Archival Associations
Consortium (RAAC)" community ... Regional archival association spotlight:...
Regional Archival Associations Consortium RAAC
<https://connect.archivists.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer?CommunityKey=c4aace4d-1a4c-4b75-b7eb-c18c87b990bc>
*Feb 5, 2023*
Discussions
started an hour ago, Courtney Bailey
<https://connect.archivists.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=c1960a66-a926-4ba5-b1b8-d1af71377656>
(0 replies)
*Regional archival association spotlight: Association of St. Louis Area
Archivists
<https://connect.archivists.org/discussion/regional-archival-association-spotlight-association-of-st-louis-area-archivists#bmb0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3>*
  [image: external link to thread view]
<https://connect.archivists.org/discussion/regional-archival-association-spotlight-association-of-st-louis-area-archivists#bmb0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3>
1.  In an effort to further engage with our fellow...
<#m_-4326306802052347157_m0> Courtney Bailey

1. Regional archival association spotlight: Association of St. Louis Area
Archivists
<https://connect.archivists.org/discussion/regional-archival-association-spotlight-association-of-st-louis-area-archivists#bmb0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3>
Reply to Group
<ARCHIVISTS_raac_b0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3 at ConnectedCommunity.org?subject=Re:+Regional+archival+association+spotlight:+Association+of+St.+Louis+Area+Archivists>
to Sender
<cbaileymsls at earthlink.net?subject=Re:+Regional+archival+association+spotlight:+Association+of+St.+Louis+Area+Archivists>
[image: Courtney Bailey]
<https://connect.archivists.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=c1960a66-a926-4ba5-b1b8-d1af71377656>
Feb 6, 2023 3:00 AM
Courtney Bailey
<https://connect.archivists.org/network/members/profile?UserKey=c1960a66-a926-4ba5-b1b8-d1af71377656>

In an effort to further engage with our fellow regional archival
organizations, the RAAC Steering Committee is featuring spotlights on
various regional archival organizations. If you are interested in sharing
the work that your regional archival organization has been doing over the
past few years, feel free to fill out this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1H8y7BxTJ66gaaBZB12vNjtDzPqelllVoINvI2zjKCsc/edit>.
And please share this message with your organization's members so that we
can all benefit from learning about the work being done by our fellow
regional archival organizations!

In this highlight, the RAAC Steering Committee is happy to share/shine a
spotlight on the Association of St. Louis Area Archivists (ASLAA)!

*Who are you?*

Association of St. Louis Area Archivists (ASLAA)

*What is your regional organization's history?*

Established in 1972, the Association of St. Louis Area Archivists (ASLAA)
is a professional association of archivists and manuscript curators from
institutions throughout the bi-state metropolitan area. ASLAA holds two
business meetings per year at repositories around the St. Louis area. Since
1985, ASLAA has published the Directory of Archives and Manuscript
Repositories in the St. Louis Area.

ASLAA currently has 127 active members. Membership is open to all
interested individuals. Our members come from a range of local archival
repositories, consulting companies, and adjacent fields.

*What are some recent initiatives your organization has undertaken?*

The past year has been a busy one for ASLAA! We currently have three active
teams who have all worked hard to serve our membership and community.

ASLAA Serves, our team that undertakes archival community service projects
in the St. Louis region, had until now had to curtail the number of
projects they usually hosted due to the pandemic. They have recently come
out of hibernation when they hosted a volunteer project in September 2022
with Washington Park Cemetery (https://www.savingwashingtonpark.com), an
African American cemetery founded in 1920. Many turned out for the event to
help out by cleaning the grounds and unearthing buried gravestones.

Our Professional Development Committee has continued to provide free
professional development opportunities to our membership. Last June, they
hosted their first experimental “Pop-Up” Presentations, a series of brief
virtual presentations spread out over time to provide different
point-of-views about a chosen archival issue. The first topic focused on
the challenges of documenting underrepresented groups in archives,
particularly the types of gaps present in the historical record,
misinformation, and the ways researchers and archivists are overcoming
them. In September they invited Carol Kussman and Sara Ring to conduct
their two-day virtual workshop “From Acquisition to Access: Tools and
Workflows for Preserving Digital Content” for ASLAA’s members.

Our Social Chair, Sarah Gabriel, has coordinated different endeavors to
restart ASLAA’s social offerings which had gone to the wayside due to
Covid-19. She held the first social we had in a long time in October and
worked with the Professional Development Committee to host a
behind-the-scenes tour of the recently reopened St. Louis Kaplan Feldman
Holocaust Museum in January 2023.

*Is there a particular initiative and/or accomplishment your organization
is proud of?*

There are too many to choose from!

For ASLAA’s executive board, one particular accomplishment has been
updating our constitution and handbooks to reflect modern changes. Between
an ASLAA-wide vote and hard work on the part of our past and current board
members, we’ve been able to bring greater clarity and transparency to our
work and provide avenues for further work with changing technologies and
tackling how to adapt to Covid-19.

Across the board for ASLAA in general, our greatest accomplishment has been
continuing our work connecting our members and providing them programs in
professional development, networking, and volunteer work despite the
challenges posed by the pandemic.

*Tell us all about your aspirations - what would you like to see your
organization doing for its members?*

Like so many other organizations, ASLAA pivoted to virtual meetings and
programming to engage members at a safe distance during the Covid-19
pandemic. While many missed the face-to-face networking (and the
refreshments!), other members also appreciated the flexibility of attending
remotely. As ASLAA plans for the future, we hope to continue to offer a mix
of virtual and in-person events to accommodate the varied needs of our
members. Our wonderful Social Chair has already revived ASLAA social
activities, so members can look forward to a slate of upcoming outings this
year.

ASLAA will continue to host professional development workshops and webinars
to develop the skills of its members. The Professional Development
Committee regularly welcomes feedback through surveys to inform the types
of professional development offered to membership. We plan to craft our
offerings to meet the evolving professional needs of ASLAA members.

------------------------------
Courtney Bailey
Chair, Regional Archival Associations Consortium
Vice-Chair, Committee on Education
NC Administrative Office of the Courts
------------------------------
  *Reply to Group Online
<https://connect.archivists.org/communities/all-discussions/postreply?MessageKey=b0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3&ListKey=ed2fae53-e888-45ef-998b-99063e129f00>*
<https://connect.archivists.org/discussion/regional-archival-association-spotlight-association-of-st-louis-area-archivists#bmb0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3>*
  *Recommend
<https://connect.archivists.org:443/discussion/regional-archival-association-spotlight-association-of-st-louis-area-archivists?MessageKey=b0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3&cmd=rate&cmdarg=add#bmb0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3>*
<https://connect.archivists.org/communities/all-discussions/forwardmessages?MessageKey=b0bbf923-b3b3-4344-938b-fabc497f86d3&ListKey=ed2fae53-e888-45ef-998b-99063e129f00>*

You are subscribed to "Regional Archival Associations Consortium RAAC" as
collette.mcdonough at gmail.com. To change your subscriptions, go to My
Subscriptions
<http://connect.archivists.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions>. To
unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe
<http://connect.archivists.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=a259be7d-ae58-4be2-93e8-81834e23b653&sKey=a7a760e4542549e59d7f&GroupKey=ed2fae53-e888-45ef-998b-99063e129f00>
.