[OPLIN 4cast] 4Cast #97: Google Invasion, Flickr Video, HP Upline, App Engine

Bobbi Galvin galvinbo at oplin.org
Wed Apr 9 09:28:30 EDT 2008

*4Cast #97
Google Invasion, Flickr Video, HP Upline, App Engine
*April 9, 2008

*1. Google gets intrusive*
As if Google isn't already imbedded in our everyday online lives, now
they are in our front yards, too. One Pittsburg couple thinks privacy
should prevail and is suing Google for posting their house on Street
View <http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/>.

    * Google StreetView Is In Your Driveway
      <http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/08/1614206&from=rss>
      (Slashdot)
    * Google sued over Street View
      <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/04/05/google_sued_over_street_view/>
      (Boston.com)
    * Google Street View Sued for Trespassing and Privacy Invasion
      <http://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-street-view-sued-for-trespassing-and-privacy>
      (search Engine Journal)
    * Couple Sues Google for Posting House Pix
      <http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/G/GOOGLE_PHOTO_LAWSUIT?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TE>
      (Wired)

*2. Flickr premieres your videos*
Flickr <http://flickr.com/>, born in 2004 to host only pictures,
introduced video capabilities yesterday. Limited to 150MB, this service
is available to Pro members. At this point, we free members will be able
to view these clips but not upload our own, at least for the time being.

    * Flickr Adds Video to its Popular Photo-Sharing Community
      <http://www.hispanicprwire.com/news.php?l=in&id=11197&cha=12>
      (Hispanic PR Wire)
    * Flickr Video Launches - A Unique Experience
      <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/08/flickr-video-launches-a-unique-experience/>
      (TechCrunch)
    * Flickr Adds Video Sharing For 'Pro' Members
      <http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/04/flickr-adds-vid.html>
      (Wired)
    * Flickr Dips Its Toe into Video-Sharing. How Will You Use It?
      <http://mashable.com/2008/04/08/flickr-video/> (Mashable)

*3. Let HP store your stuff*
HP upline <https://www.upline.com/> is now available. Available free for
the first year and with temporarily only one gig available per user,
later it will offer unlimited online storage for paid subscribers.
Besides being used for backups, users can store data online, share
files, publish files, and access PCs remotely.

    * HP Provides Unlimited Online Storage with Upline
      <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/07/hp-provides-unlimited-online-storage-with-upline/>
      (TechCrunch)
    * First look: HP Upline a solid online storage, backup client
      <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080408-first-look-hp-upline-a-solid-online-storage-backup-client.html>
      (Ars Technica)
    * HP launches Upline, offers unlimited storage for a fee
      <http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/04/07/hp-launches-upline-offers-unlimited-storage-for-a-fee/>
      (Download Squad)
    * HP Officially Launches Slick 'Upline' Backup Service
      <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2281686,00.asp> (PC Mag)

*4. Still more from Google*
Want to create and test a new web application, but need a place to store
it? Try Google App Engine <http://code.google.com/appengine/>.

    * Google gives Web developers a leg up with App Engine
      <http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1913502382;fp;4;fpid;611908207>
      (Computer World)
    * Developers, start your engines
      <http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/developers-start-your-engines.html>
      (Google)
    * Introducing Google App Engine + our new blog
      <http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2008/04/introducing-google-app-engine-our-new.html>
      (Google App Engine)
    * Google App Engine: An Early Look
      <http://mashable.com/2008/04/08/google-app-engine/> (Mashable)

The /*OPLIN 4cast*/ is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

    * *RSS feed*. You can receive the /OPLIN 4cast/ via RSS feed by
      subscribing to the following URL:
      http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
    * *Live Bookmark*. If you're using the Firefox
      <http://www.mozilla.com/> web browser, you can go to the /4cast/
      website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the orange
      "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
      Internet Explorer 7 <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/>, click
      on the same icon to view or subscribe to the /4cast/ RSS feed.
    * *E-mail*. You can have the /OPLIN 4cast/ delivered via e-mail
      (a'la OPLINlist and OPLINtech) by subscribing to the /4cast/
      mailing list at http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

--
Bobbi Galvin
OPLIN Support Center