[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #149: Calculating social media return on investment (ROI)

Bobbi Galvin galvinbo at oplin.org
Wed Oct 21 15:48:22 EDT 2009

*OPLIN 4Cast #149:
Calculating social media return on investment (ROI)
*October 21, 2009

  /4casting technologies that could have an impact on public libraries./

You tweet.  You blog.  You're on MySpace and Facebook.  You're LinkedIn
and you IM with your patrons.  But what kind of impact is social media
making for your library?  There is an argument for calculating return on
investment (ROI), but can we really justify the time we spend staying
connected all of the time?  What should we measure?  What kind of
numbers would mean your social presence is successful?

There may be pressure to prove ROI, yet libraries still struggle with
how to measure exactly how social media is helping library staff members
meet organizational objectives and goals.

You are the community hub.  People love you.  So why should you have to
prove your worth?

    * What's the ROI of Putting Your Pants on in the Morning?
      <http://adage.com/smallagency/post?article_id=139799>

Want some tips for great ROI?  Here are some basic rules of the road.

    * 20 Tips For Best ROI In Social Media
      <http://www.marketlikeachick.com/20-tips-for-best-roi-in-social-media/>

The "Storytelling & Social Media: Return on Investment (ROI)" webinar
<https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/schedule/display.do?udc=slpno8mh3wn0> from
TechSoup Global & NTEN " from TechSoup Global & NTEN "will show how you
can effectively use ROI processes, techniques, and formulas to help your
organization make better social media strategy decisions and demonstrate
impact."  Also covered is "where to incorporate qualitative information
and an introduction to a small tool set of analytics, mostly free, that
can help you capture, analyze, and interpret data."
While lengthy and a bit slow to start, this webinar is a good one if you
are just getting a feel for ROI.  You will need both the audio and
PowerPoint to this presentation.

    * Audio  <https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/download/schedule/1p31jhpvmxt6j>
    * PowerPoint presentation
      <https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/download/schedule/1lsl6in110xhi>

While we want to know if time spent in social media is valuable, many
organizations just aren't tracking ROI.  Are you?

    * STATS: 84% of Social Media Programs Don't Measure ROI
      <http://mashable.com/2009/09/22/social-media-programs-roi/>
    *

The /*OPLIN 4cast*/ is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

    * *RSS feed*. You can receive the /OPLIN 4cast/ via RSS feed by
      subscribing to the following URL:
      http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
    * *Live Bookmark*. If you're using the Firefox
      <http://www.mozilla.com/> web browser, you can go to the /4cast/
      website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the orange
      "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
      Internet Explorer 7 <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/>, click
      on the same icon to view or subscribe to the /4cast/ RSS feed.
    * *E-mail*. You can have the /OPLIN 4cast/ delivered via e-mail
      (a'la OPLINlist and OPLINtech) by subscribing to the /4cast/
      mailing list at http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

--
Bobbi Galvin
OPLIN Customer Relations & Support