[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #146: Your security is our security.

Bobbi Galvin galvinbo at oplin.org
Wed Sep 30 11:46:08 EDT 2009

*OPLIN 4Cast #146:
Your security is our security.
*September 30, 2009

  /4casting technologies that could have an impact on public libraries./

You have heard it before, you will hear it again...security, security,
security.

Day after day we warn users that without good security, 1.) their e-mail
accounts are dangerously exposed to hackers, 2.) their networks are
vulnerable to outside attacks and 3.) the OPLIN network can be compromised.

All three of these instances happened this week, causing OPLIN staff to
scramble to reduce the amount of damage.  *This is a big deal. *

Historically, when someone gets hacked on the OPLIN network, the reason
for the compromise isn't to steal your identity or use your computer to
tap into some top-secret government agency.   We get hacked because
someone wants to steal an e-mail account for sending out spam.

Thousands of people are impacted when one user e-mail ID is compromised
or one library server isn't protected.  OPLIN IPs get blocked by folks
like Google, Yahoo! and Time-Warner, and it takes time to get removed
from their blocked lists.  In the mean time, all OPLIN mail is
backlogged and we block your offending IP as per the OPLIN Good Neighbor
policy <http://www.oplin.org/content/oplin-community-good-neighbor-policy>.

This week, the security breeches could have been easily averted.  Do not
assume that someone else is taking care of your computer and e-mail
security.  Ask!  Make sure you are receiving at least weekly Microsoft
updates and daily anti-virus updates. Use a strong password on your
e-mail account.  Be proactive and when possible, take personal
responsibility for your machine.

Here are some articles about the severity of malware and ways to protect
your account and the OPLIN network.

    * Malware worldwide grows 15 percent in September.
      <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10363373-83.html>
    * IT security breaches soar in 2009
      <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/it-security-breaches-soar-in-2009/article1305011/>
    * Secure Password Generator <http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/>
    * The Password Meter <http://www.passwordmeter.com/>

The /*OPLIN 4cast*/ is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

    * *RSS feed*. You can receive the /OPLIN 4cast/ via RSS feed by
      subscribing to the following URL:
      http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
    * *Live Bookmark*. If you're using the Firefox
      <http://www.mozilla.com/> web browser, you can go to the /4cast/
      website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the orange
      "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
      Internet Explorer 7 <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/>, click
      on the same icon to view or subscribe to the /4cast/ RSS feed.
    * *E-mail*. You can have the /OPLIN 4cast/ delivered via e-mail
      (a'la OPLINlist and OPLINtech) by subscribing to the /4cast/
      mailing list at http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

--
Bobbi Galvin
OPLIN Customer Relations & Support