[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #247: May we have your attention

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed Sep 14 10:28:41 EDT 2011

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4Cast #247: May we have your attention
September 14th, 2011

<http://www.oplin.org/4cast/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/attention_span.png>...for
just a moment, please. For libraries that post to social media, the
lesson for today is: Keep your posts interesting and new, keep them
short, and post often.

    * Facebook and internet 'can re-wire your brain and shorten
      attention span'
      <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312119/Facebook-internet-wire-brain-shorten-attention-span.html>
      (Daily Mail/Fiona Macrae) "Some British children spend
      seven-and-a-half hours a day in front of a screen. And Baroness
      Greenfield wants the Government and private sector to research the
      effects of technology on the brain. At the British Science
      Festival, in Birmingham, she said: 'We should acknowledge that
      this is bringing an unprecedented change in our lives and we have
      to work out whether it is for good or bad.'"
    * Social media is not lessening attention-spans!
      <http://www.socialmediaphilosophy.com/2011/05/31/attention-span-lessened-social/>
      (Social Media Philosophy Project/thePuck) "Studies, articles, and
      tweets pop up all over, every day it seems, about how people of my
      generation, spoiled on TV, computers, and video games, have no
      attention-span, can't focus, and have fragmented work ethics. This
      is not the case. We spend hours focused on the minutiae of our
      Twitter accounts, the apps on our phones, our contact lists. We
      spend months and years playing the same online video game, engaged
      in long-term goals that often take months to accomplish. We're
      focused, we get the information, we know what we want to know...we
      just aren't doing it like they want us to."
    * Beating back the boredom: How your social media marketing campaign
      can outlast your fans' short attention spans
      <http://blog.gremln.com/2011/09/07/beating-back-the-boredom-how-your-social-media-marketing-campaign-can-outlast-your-fans%27-short-attention-spans/>
      (Gremln/Clayton Smith) "In the traditional advertising world, a
      single ad campaign can carry your company for years, sometimes
      decades. [...] That type of thing wouldn't fly as a social media
      strategy. Mostly because it's not exactly a 'social' strategy, but
      more to the point of this blog, it doesn't change. It doesn't
      evolve. If I see the same, stagnant strategy on Facebook three
      days in a row, I've lost complete interest in the product, not to
      mention some faith in the creativity of the company."
    * You just shared a link. How long will people pay attention?
      <http://blog.bitly.com/post/9887686919/you-just-shared-a-link-how-long-will-people-pay>
      (bitly blog) "In general, the half life of a bitly link is about 3
      hours, unless you publish your links on youtube, where you can
      expect about 7 hours worth of attention. Many links last a lot
      less than 2 hours; other more sticky links last longer than 11
      hours over all the referrers. This leads us to believe that the
      lifespan of your link is connected more to what content it points
      to than on where you post it: on the social web it's all about
      what you share, not where you share it!"

*/Detail facts:/*

 From the same bitly blog post cited above: "So we looked at the half
life of 1,000 popular bitly links and the results were surprisingly
similar. The mean half life of a link on twitter is 2.8 hours, on
facebook it's 3.2 hours and via 'direct' sources (like email or IM
clients) it's 3.4 hours."
The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

    * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
      subscribing to the following URL:
      http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
    * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can
      go to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on
      the orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar.
      In Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or
      subscribe to the 4cast RSS feed.
    * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
      OPLINlist and OPLINtech) by subscribing to the 4cast mailing list
      at http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.