[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #318: Leaping ahead

Editor editor at oplin.org
Wed Jan 23 10:30:03 EST 2013

OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4Cast #318: Leaping ahead
January 23rd, 2013

leap motion logoOver the past eight months or so, a new company in San
Francisco called Leap Motion has been gathering attention in the
computer world, culminating earlier this month in a couple of big
business deals. Leap Motion makes software and hardware that allow
computer users to interface with their machines through hand gestures,
rather than using a keyboard, mouse, or touch screen. This technology
can track hand motions as small as 1/100th of a millimeter in three
dimensions. Some people think this could lead to revolutionary changes
in the way we interact with our computers.

  * This tiny gizmo could be a very big deal in 2013 - and beyond
    <http://readwrite.com/2012/12/24/is-this-the-hottest-tech-company-of-2013>
    (ReadWrite/Dan Lyons) "Basically the engineers at Leap Motion have
    invented the 3D user interface of the future. You don't use a
    keyboard and mouse; you don't even use a touch screen. You just move
    your fingers in the air, and, as if by magic, with zero latency and
    pinpoint accuracy, stuff happens on your screen."
  * A look inside Leap Motion, the 3D gesture control that's like Kinect
    on steroids
    <http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/26/3118592/leap-motion-gesture-controls>
    (The Verge/David Pierce) "The simplest thing it can do is simulate a
    touch screen, so you can interact with any display as if it were
    touch-enabled - we were slicing pineapples in /Fruit Ninja/ in
    seconds, without a moment of extra development or additional
    software. Developers that do take advantage of the Leap's SDK will
    be able to do much more, however, and the possibilities appear to be
    limited only by your imagination."
  * Leap Motion gets $30M to change how you interact with computers
    <http://gigaom.com/2013/01/03/leap-motion-gets-30m-to-change-how-you-interact-with-and-think-of-computers/>
    (GigaOM/Stacey Higginbotham) "That's a nice win in the computing
    space, but the real question for me is can a new UI change how we
    interact with computers, and perhaps help keep the PC relevant?
    David Holz, the co-founder and CTO of Leap told me that he helped
    invent the product because he wanted to do things on his computer,
    like play an instrument or make a model, that were made far too
    complicated by the existing programs limited by drop down menus
    necessitated by having a keyboard or mouse interface."
  * Leap Motion motion control tech to be bundled with Asus PCs
    <http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57561705-76/leap-motion-motion-control-tech-to-be-bundled-with-asus-pcs/>
    (CNET/Daniel Terdiman) "When Leap Motion first announced its
    technology, it expected the Leap would be ideal for industries like
    surgery, gaming, architecture, design, engineering, and more. But
    almost from the get-go, some of the most interesting projects
    developers were suggesting involved things like automatically
    translating sign language."

*/Video fact:/*

Leap Motion has its own YouTube channel
<http://www.youtube.com/user/leapmotion> of demo videos, which have been
viewed over 8 million times since the channel was started last May.
The */OPLIN 4cast/* is a weekly compilation of recent headlines, topics,
and trends that could impact public libraries. You can subscribe to it
in a variety of ways, such as:

  * *RSS feed.* You can receive the OPLIN 4cast via RSS feed by
    subscribing to the following URL:
    http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
  * *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
    to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
    orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In
    Internet Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to
    the 4cast RSS feed.
  * *E-mail.* You can have the OPLIN 4cast delivered via e-mail (a'la
    http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.

OPLIN 4Cast