[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #464: Genius networks

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 18 10:30:05 EST 2015

<http://www.oplin.org/4cast/> [image: OPLIN 4Cast]

OPLIN 4cast #464: Genius networks
November 18th, 2015

[image: Artificial Intelligence (AI)] When we think about Artificial
Intelligence (AI), many of us probably picture a robot that thinks and acts
like a human. Some of us picture frightening robots. But what if an AI is
something you can't even picture at all? That's the case with one possible
scenario that is getting some discussion lately: an artificially
intelligent Internet. Some people feel this is a very likely scenario, and
a beneficial use of AI as the network becomes even bigger and more complex.

   - The future of networking is Watson
   <http://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/the-future-of-networking-is-watson/a/d-id/1322999>
   (Network Computing | Patrick Hubbard) "AI-defined networks won't be about
   automating routine tasks, programmatically managing networks or providing a
   platform where humans create evermore clever access policies. Instead,
   we'll become teachers to machines that watch our network traffic, monitor
   our applications and cognitively recognize novel behavior on our firewalls.
   Many, like financial services CIOs, will be incredibly resistant to handing
   over security to 'a machine,' but we won't have a choice. Increasing
   complexity of highly converged and hybrid infrastructures is creating more,
   not less security risk."
   - Andy Rubin: AI is the future of computing, mobility
   <http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-applications/andy-rubin-ai-is-the-future-of-computing-mobility/a/d-id/1322556>
   (InformationWeek | Eric Zeman) "More specifically, [Google's Andy] Rubin
   believes Internet-connected devices
   <http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/digital-business/iot-can-it-bridge-the-digital-divide-to-fulfill-its-promise-/a/d-id/1322466>
   (smartphones, tablets, thermostats, smoke detectors, and cars, for example)
   will create massive amounts of data that will be analyzed by deep-learning
   technologies. This process will be the foundation of the first artificial
   intelligence networks. They will be able to tell people, for instance, what
   their thermostat is set to, when it's time to hit the gym, and whether or
   not your pool has too much chlorine."
   - SkyNet = AI + SDN? Dave Meyer shares his view of the role of AI in
   networking
   <https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/contributed/ai-sdn-dave-meyer-view-of-role-of-ai-in-networking-art-fewell/2015/02/>
   (SDX Central | Art Fewell) "When you think about how your intelligence
   works, you've got all these sensors; eyes, ears, tactile, etc. What that's
   doing is throwing a big stream of data at your neocortex which is then
   building statistical models that allow you to understand the world around
   you. The network is doing the same thing. Part of what makes this possible
   is the way the network was built."
   - The impact of IBM's Watson on network management
   <http://entuity.com/the-impact-of-ibms-watson-on-network-management/>
   (Entuity | Jay Maiellano) "Imagine a network with devices that could think
   for themselves? If every switch, router, or server could direct data flow
   to its top efficiency on its own, would we even need configuration? What if
   devices could sense problems in a network and adjust to them automatically,
   or even further, fix it on its own? The potential for AI in a network is
   endless."

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Artificial Intelligence and the promise of better information access.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=101452488&site=ehost-live>
   (*Information Today*, March 2015, p.14-15 | Stephen E. Arnold)
   - The effect of Artificial Intelligence on the future of information
   literacy.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=108501392&site=ehost-live>
   (*Online Searcher*, July/Aug. 2015, p.71-73 | William Blake)
   - Rise of concerns about AI: Reflections and directions.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=110193552&site=ehost-live>
   (*Communications of the ACM*, Oct. 2015, p.38-40 | Thomas G. Dietterich
   and Eric J. Horvitz)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.