[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #502: Future shock... just sharing the joy

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Aug 10 10:33:31 EDT 2016

OPLIN 4cast #502: Future shock... just sharing the joy
August 10th, 2016

[image: Future shock] I subscribe to a crap ton  (that's a scientific
measurement, right?) of RSS feeds.  Admittedly, I struggle to keep up with
all of them. It takes me at least several hours per week just to weed out
the posts that aren't relevant to me and to scan and file the rest.  Many
of the blogs and sites I subscribe to are, unsurprisingly,
technology-related.  And, perhaps, it is those that cause me the most
stress.

Technology is moving so fast it's making me dizzy.  It's getting to a point
where I can't always absorb all of the changes and the things that are just
over the horizon.  Maybe you feel similarly?

To give you a little taste of what I've run across recently, I'm sharing
these four (4) recent posts.
- 17 ways technology will change our lives by 2050
<http://www.businessinsider.com/ian-pearson-predictions-about-the-world-in-2050-2016-7>
[Business
Insider] Ian Pearson, a futurist with an 85% accuracy record, predicts that
machines will gain consciousness by 2025, and that smartphones will be
obsolete in the not-so-far future. "If it's 2025 and you have a smartphone,
people will laugh at you," he said.
- The enterprise technologies to watch in 2016
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-enterprise-technologies-to-watch-in-2016/>
[ZDNet]This
post isn't about the future, it's about *now. * "There are several new
additions to the list this year that -- despite rampant overuse of the term
these days -- hold the potential to be genuinely disruptive in the short
term. These include blockchain, digital/customer experience management, and
real-time stream processing, or fast data." So...great. A whole chart of
things we're already probably behind on.
- Facebook Live is changing our world. Is that a good thing?
<http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/29/us/facebook-live-trnd/index.html> [CNN] Talk
about fast social change; Facebook Live and other live streaming apps are
making it apparent that the future, in at least one way, is here. CNN runs
down the pros and cons. "Live video allows us to see what's happening in
the world as it happens. Just as it gives us a window into the best moments
in people's lives, it can also let us bear witness to the worst. Live video
can be a powerful tool in a crisis -- to document events or ask for help."
- The Future of User Interaction: Beyond Touchscreens
<https://marketingtechblog.com/future-user-interaction-interfaces/> [Marketing
Tech Blog] Holographs, brain waves and OLEDs, oh my!  You might be
scrapping that computer mouse soon...or at least, adding in some new
hardware. "Newer devices, like Emotiv <http://emotiv.com/>, utilize
electroencephalography (EEG) detection to tap into actual brain waves to
interface with external applications."

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Back to the (Technology) Future.
   <http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?sid=3fd01469-e459-4b3a-b388-f8737281a397%40sessionmgr4007&vid=0&hid=4101&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=113275532&db=buh>
   (*Journal of Financial Service Professionals*, Mar2016, Vol. 70 Issue 2,
   p42-45 | Weber, Richard M)
   - THE FUTURE OF WORK IS*.
   <http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?sid=2df3e7e3-451c-436e-95b4-8d960a6d97e3%40sessionmgr4006&vid=0&hid=4101&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=116357134&db=buh>
   (*Fortune*, 7/1/2016, Vol. 174 Issue 1, p79-89 | Zaleski, Andrew et al)
   - Emerging technologies and the future of humanity.
   <http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?sid=5c39e87d-7224-4afa-85d6-86093d845b95%40sessionmgr4006&vid=0&hid=4101&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=110791331&db=ulh>
   (*Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists*, Nov/Dec2015, Vol. 71 Issue 6,
   p29-38 | Allenby, Brad)

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast