[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #472: Chatbots improve their chatter

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 13 10:30:55 EST 2016

<http://www.oplin.org/4cast/> [image: OPLIN 4Cast]

OPLIN 4cast #472: Chatbots improve their chatter
January 13th, 2016

[image: robot] A chatbot - sometimes called a chatterbot - is a software
program that interacts with people via Internet messaging to answer
questions or hold a conversation. Think of it as an automated online
assistant. Terms like "natural language processing," "artificial
intelligence," and "Turing test" come up in most discussions of chatbots,
because they generally try very hard to appear human. Some long, detailed
articles we have seen recently have been about text-based chatbots, which
some people think have a stronger future than talking chatbots. For a
library that uses simple text messaging to send notifications to patrons
<http://oplin.ohio.gov/sms>, that type of one-way communication may someday
seem quaint and old-fashioned to many people. (But not as old-fashioned as
a long email.)

   - The big opportunity for bots in messaging
   <http://versionone.vc/the-big-opportunity-for-bots-in-messaging/>
   (Version One | Boris Wertz) "The key here is removing any friction by being
   part of the regular workflow; for example, copy your virtual assistant on
   an email for an upcoming meeting and AI will take over from there. It's
   easier for startups to gain traction in the business space, since the tasks
   are relatively cut and dry. For example, a bot can quickly grasp how to
   schedule a meeting with predefined rules versus having to field consumer
   requests on anything from ordering an anniversary present to drawing a
   picture of the sunset."
   - The dark side of the coming chatbot revolution
   <http://www.computerworld.com/article/3018162/emerging-technology/the-dark-side-of-the-coming-chatbot-revolution.html>
   (Computerworld | Mike Elgan) "Messaging apps are a great place to place an
   A.I. chatbot because we already spend so much time in those apps. We've
   accepted the bare-bones, text-only UI, which eliminates some of the
   uncertainties of virtual assistants that rely on voice recognition and
   spoken replies. But messaging chatbots also come with risks. Because human
   beings are complex creatures plagued by cognitive biases, irrational
   thinking and emotional needs, the line between messaging with a friend and
   messaging with A.I. will be fine to nonexistent for some people."
   - Facebook M - The Anti-Turing test
   <https://medium.com/@arikaleph/facebook-m-the-anti-turing-test-74c5af19987c>
   (Medium | Arik Sosman) "When communicating with M, it insists it's an AI,
   and that it lives right inside Messenger. However, its non-instantaneous
   nature and the sheer unlimited complexity of tasks it can handle suggest
   otherwise. The opinion is split as to whether or not it's a real AI, and
   there seems to be no way of proving its nature one way or the other. The
   biggest issue with trying to prove whether or not M is an AI is that,
   contrary to other AIs that pretend to be human, M insists it's an AI. Thus,
   what we would be testing for is humans pretending to be an AI, which is
   much harder to test than the other way round, because it's much easier for
   humans to pretend to be an AI than for an AI to pretend to be a human."
   - The search for the killer bot
   <http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10718282/internet-bots-messaging-slack-facebook-m>
   (The Verge | Casey Newton) "As 2016 dawns, there's a sense in Silicon
   Valley that the decades-old fantasy of a true digital assistant is due to
   roar back into the mainstream. If the trend in past years has been
   assistants powered by voice - Siri, Alexa, Cortana - in 2016 the focus is
   shifting to text. And if the bots come, as industry insiders are betting
   they will, there will be casualties: with artificial intelligence doing the
   searching for us, Google may see fewer queries. Our AI-powered assistants
   will manage more and more of our digital activities, eventually diminishing
   the importance of individual, siloed apps, and the app stores that sell
   them. Many websites could come to feel as outdated as GeoCities pages - and
   some companies might ditch them entirely."

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Introducing chatbots in libraries.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=94387247&site=ehost-live>
   (*Library Technology Reports*, Nov./Dec. 2013, p.5-10 | Michele L.
   McNeal and David Newyear)
   - On the claim that a table-lookup program could pass the Turing test.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=95430968&site=ehost-live>
   (*Minds & Machines*, May 2014, p.143-188 | Drew McDermott)
   - Ghost in the machine.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=101337897&site=ehost-live>
   (*Director*, March 2015, p.62-65 | Nick Scott)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.