[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #481: DDoS is still growing

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 16 10:30:19 EDT 2016

OPLIN 4cast #481: DDoS is still growing
March 16th, 2016

[image: digital skull] Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are
becoming an ever bigger problem on the Internet. DDoS attacks send so much
traffic to a web server that the victim's Internet connection or web server
cannot handle it all, and their website becomes inaccessible to legitimate
traffic: a "denial of service." We have posted about DDoS attacks a few
times in this blog, but it has been over a year since our last post
<http://www.oplin.org/4cast/?p=5151>. Several companies have just released
statistics for the final quarter of 2015, showing huge growth in this type
of attack. If you think that public libraries are never targeted, think
again. The OPLIN network is constantly being probed and beset in many ways;
we stop thousands of potential attacks every day.

   - DDoS attacks: Getting bigger and more dangerous all the time
   <http://www.zdnet.com/article/ddos-attacks-getting-bigger-and-more-dangerous-all-the-time/>
   (ZDNet | Danny Palmer) "Indeed, it was companies which provide IT, cloud,
   and software services which are currently most targeted, with 32 percent of
   DDoS attacks made against this sector. However, the number of DDoS
   incidents media and entertainment providers wasn't far behind, with 30
   percent of attacks made against organisations in this industry. Attacks
   against the financial sector made up 15 percent of incidents, the public
   sector accounts for 10 percent and while the biggest DDoS event was
   recorded against the telecommunications industry, this sector accounts for
   only 8 percent of DDoS attacks."
   - Estimating the revenue of a Russian DDoS booter
   <http://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/asert/estimating-the-revenue-of-a-russian-ddos-booter/>
   (Arbor Networks blog | Dennis Schwarz) "As we see in Arbor's most
recent Worldwide
   Infrastructure Security Report (WISR)
   <http://www.arbornetworks.com/insight-into-the-global-threat-landscape>,
   the average cost to the victim of a DDoS attack is around $500 per minute.
   And as we've seen above, the mean cost to the attacker is only $66 per
   attack. This finding highlights both the extreme asymmetry of the economics
   of DDoS attackers vs. those of the victims of DDoS attacks, as well as the
   importance of robust DDoS defenses to all organizations which depend upon
   their online presence for revenue, customer support, and other important
   business functions. The cost to launch a DDoS attack is so low that the
   barrier to entry for attackers is practically nil - and that means that
   *any* organization can potentially be the target of a DDoS attack, since
   the investment required to launch an attack is so low."
   - DDoS attacks are soaring, says new report
   <https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/03/02/ddos-attacks-are-soaring-says-new-report/>
   (Naked Security | Bill Camarda) "Like so much else these days, these sites
   are subscription-based; Akamai notes that they usually limit attack length,
   unlike old-fashioned DDoS attacks that lasted until 'the attack was
   mitigated, the malicious actor gave up, or the botnet was taken down.' Yet
   another example of how the cloud makes things easy: why build and operate
   your own botnet if you can just hire someone else's for long enough to
   cause havoc?"
   - Building a brand-new Internet
   <http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/13/building-a-brand-new-internet/>
   (TechCrunch | Menny Barzilay) "Unless this changes, there may come a day in
   which it is no longer deemed cost-effective, business-wise, to introduce
   new services on the Internet. Incremental security changes will not work.
   We need disruptive innovation in the world of cybersecurity. A paradigm
   shift - something that will change dramatically the way things work. We
   want a solution that will have a significant positive effect, similar to
   the one created by the invention of the car, smartphone or time travel."

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - DDoS is the most common method of cyber attack on financial
   institutions.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=113047315&site=ehost-live>
   (*Computer Weekly*, 2/9/2016, p.4-6 | Warwick Ashford)
   - Defence against SYN - flooding attack.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=111094349&site=ehost-live>
   (*International Journal of Multidisciplinary Approach & Studies*,
   Sep.-Oct.2015, p.114-123 | R. Saranya and N. Prathap)
   - How to survive a cyberattack.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=103335897&site=ehost-live>
   (*T H E Journal*, May 2014, p.7-9 | Phil Hardin)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://mail.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.