[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #527: Is this the year of Facebook Live?

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 1 10:31:32 EST 2017

OPLIN 4cast #527: Is this the year of Facebook Live?
February 1st, 2017

[image: Facebook live logo and someone using the app to stream a concert]
What happens when everyone can essentially become their own, live
television station on a moment's notice? We're finding out, as Facebook
Live begins to show signs of creating a societal shift. Even though Live
was preceded by such apps as Meerkat
<https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/30/meerkat-star-of-2015-is-officially-dead/>
and Pericsope <https://www.periscope.tv/> (and even Instagram has a "Live
<http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-use-instagram-live/>" option
now), Facebook Live is built into the largest social network and so has
quickly gained a lot of traction. While some experts believe Facebook's
streaming video option is going big this year, there's still some criticism
and concerns about problems that have yet to be worked out.
- Why Facebook Live is not ready for prime time
<https://www.businessesgrow.com/2016/12/19/facebook-live/> [Mark Schafer]
"Those obstacles don’t go away in a year, or even two years. Will there be
an increase in live video? Of course. That seems like a pretty safe
prediction. Will there be a transformation in 2017? No. It’s a couple of
years away."
- Facebook Live is the new key witness to crime [CNN] "As a society
interested in retributive justice, the last thing we want to do is point
the finger at social media. Quite the contrary; we should be thrilled that
there are outlets like Facebook and Snapchat enticing criminals to post
conclusive evidence of their own crimes."
- Facebook Live is changing the world - but not in the way it hoped [The
Guardian] "But those audiences also outpace Facebook’s own ability to
moderate content. While videos can be reported, for spam or offensive
content, just like other posts, the real-time nature of the events seems to
be beyond Facebook’s scope, meaning that videos are often taken down hours
after they’ve already ended."
- Opinion: can Facebook Live video work?
<http://www.digitalpark.co.uk/2017/01/opinion-can-facebook-live-video-work/>
[Digital
Park] "It is clear that the market, although small, is there for ‘live
videos’, but the only obstacle I see that all these companies have failed
to overcome is *TIME* – and I do not mean the magazine. Our time is
precious to us and wasting our time watching someone else live is eating in
to our time."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Facebook Live and Periscope: Live Streaming for Social Workers
      <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=118782837>
      [SAMUDIO, M. Facebook Live and Periscope: Live Streaming for Social
      Workers. *New Social Worker*. 23, 4, 28, 2016. ISSN: 10737871]
      - Man crashes while streaming 100 mph drive on Facebook Live
      <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=AP50e6e90b88104667864219463d49d297>
[he
      Associated, P. Man crashes while streaming 100 mph drive on
Facebook Live. *US
      News Online*. Dec. 1, 2016]
      - Facebook Live irks operators
      <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=2W63632922789>
[SUCHIVA,
      N. Facebook Live irks operators. *Bangkok Post (Thailand)*. Jan. 20,
      2017]

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast