[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #546: Voice searching

OPLIN Support via OPLIN4cast oplin4cast at lists.oplin.org
Wed Jun 14 10:30:22 EDT 2017

OPLIN 4cast #546: Voice searching
June 14th, 2017

[image: Voice search] Two weeks ago, Mary Meeker presented her annual,
highly anticipated internet trends report, complete with a deck of 355
slides. We have posted about the Meeker report before
<http://4cast.oplin.org/?p=5389> and will focus this time on only one of
the items we found interesting: Twenty percent of mobile queries were made
via voice in 2016. (A summary of the entire Meeker report can be found at
Recode
<https://www.recode.net/2017/5/31/15693686/mary-meeker-kleiner-perkins-kpcb-slides-internet-trends-code-2017>.)
As you might expect, with a shift from typing to voice search, 70% of these
queries are formatted in natural language rather than simple keywords
(slide 46). And of course, increasingly popular digital assistant devices
like the Amazon Echo and the Google Home (“smart speakers”) can only do
voice searches and expect natural language. So here’s our question: Will
the day come when we will be using a smartphone or a smart speaker to do a
voice search of a library catalog? We don’t have a good answer to that
question.

   -
   - Internet trends 2017 — Code Conference
   <http://www.kpcb.com/internet-trends> (Mary Meeker)  [The slide deck
   from Mary Meeker’s Code Conference presentation at the Terranea Resort in
   California on May 31.]
   - Voice search is here. Are you ready?
   <http://www.practicalecommerce.com/seo-voice-search-is-here-are-you-ready>
   (Practical Ecommerce | Jill Kocher)  “Part of the growing voice search use
   comes from the increase of in-home digital assistants like Amazon Echo’s
   Alexa and Google’s Home device, which have no manual interface and rely
   entirely on verbal requests and commands. The Echo, in particular, has been
   very successful as a mainstream voice-interface device. Eleven million
   Amazon Echo devices have been sold in the U.S., enough for 3.5 percent of
   homes.”
   - Alexa and Siri are changing search: 5 steps to stay on top
   <https://www.marketingtechnews.net/news/2017/may/26/alexa-and-siri-are-changing-search-5-steps-stay-top/>
   (Marketing Tech | Andrew Lovasz)  “Given that Amazon sold out of the Echo
   well before Christmas, we can conclude consumers have embraced the
   voice-activated personal assistant. It’s likely that these products will
   start to permeate our workspaces, homes, vehicles, and even holiday
   destinations in the coming years. The significant change that voice search
   brings is to the results page. Asking a smartphone, ‘find tire store near
   me’ displays just three listings. A search engine result page on a computer
   lists at least ten options. For Google Home and Amazon Echo, Google and
   Alexa respond with just one result.”
   - “Ubiquitous and seamless”: The future of voice search
   <https://searchenginewatch.com/2017/04/06/ubiquitous-and-seamless-the-future-of-voice-search/>
   (Search Engine Watch | Clark Boyd)  “Certain types of queries and searches
   are likely to require more than just one instant answer, as they require a
   visual element; for example, planning a trip, or deciding which winter coat
   to buy. It is imperative that businesses do not over-optimize for voice
   search without thinking this through, as voice search does not yet lend
   itself so readily to these more complex answers.”

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - ‘Hey Google, Alexa’.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=121105611>
   (*Security Distributing & Marketing*, Feb.2017, p.79-82 | Joan
   Engebretson)
   - How Echo, Google Home, and other voice assistants can change the game
   for content creators.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=121474386>
   (*EContent*, March 2017, p.4-8 | Erik J. Martin)
   - OK, house. Get smart.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=123115558>
   (*Wired*, June 2017, p.39-48 | Paul Sarconi, David Pierce, Michael
   Calore, Chelsea Leu, Brian Barrett and Tim Moynihan)

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast