[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #534: Indoor location

OPLIN Support via OPLIN4cast oplin4cast at lists.oplin.org
Wed Mar 22 10:30:06 EDT 2017

OPLIN 4cast #534: Indoor location
March 22nd, 2017

[image: Location on cell phone] Without giving it much thought, most of us
have become regular users of location services in the past few years.
Everytime we use GPS with our cellphones, we have allowed location
technology to find our device so our device can tell us where we are on a
map. While location services work great in the outdoors, indoors their
performance is not as robust, because of the roof between the mobile device
user and a satellite. But there is growing demand for indoor location
services, and the fact that we now have a competition taking place between
cell service and wi-fi to provide better indoor location says a lot about
the size of that dema
- Indoor positioning data is increasingly important for services, testing
<http://www.rcrwireless.com/20170223/test-and-measurement/indoor-positioning-data-increasingly-important-for-services-tetsing-tag6>
(RCR Wireless News | Kelly Hill)  “The Federal Communications Commission in
2015 adopted rules mandating improved accuracy in reporting cellular users’
location – including the ability to identify the height at which a user is
located, with requirements phased in
<https://www.fcc.gov/public-safety-and-homeland-security/policy-and-licensing-division/911-services/general/location-accuracy-indoor-benchmarks>
until 2024. In order to help cellular operators meet those requirement,
industry trade group CTIA is working on indoor location testing with its 911
Location Test Bed <http://www.911locationtestbed.org/>.”
- Wi-Fi expanding to indoor location services
<http://www.networkworld.com/article/3174809/lan-wan/wi-fi-expanding-to-indoor-location-services.html>
(Network World | Patrick Nelson)  “Tracking high-value equipment and
stopping consumers from getting lost are among the uses for an improved
system, Wi-Fi Alliance [WFA] says. Geofencing also becomes practical.
That’s where artificial boundaries prompt actions, such as an alert when a
device crosses a cutoff point. And, of course, advertising and marketing
stand to benefit from it. Using ‘hyperlocal marketing,’ businesses push
targeted ads or special offers to consumers as they move around.”
- Wi-Fi, LTE spar over location
<http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331388> (EE Times | Rick
Merritt)  “The WFA certified baseband silicon from Broadcom, Intel,
Marvell, Mediatek, Qualcomm and Realtek for what it calls Wi-Fi Location.
The approach measures signal timestamps with nanosecond accuracy to deliver
location data typically within a meter using the Fine Timing Measurement
protocol from IEEE 802.11-2016. Another Wi-Fi standard in the works,
802.11az <http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/tgaz_update.htm>, could offer
centimeter accuracy in a few years.”
- Wi-Fi Location promises precision
<http://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/wi-fi-location-promises-precision/161511044>
(Network Computing | Marcia Savage)  “Other methods for determining indoor
location are primarily based on measuring signal strength, but simple RSSI
[received signal strength indicator] measurements run into accuracy
problems when the signal is weak, [WFA VP of marketing Kevin] Robinson
said. In that case, it’s hard to know if you’re far away or whether a wall
is obstructing the signal. RSSI fingerprinting is more accurate, but
requires site surveys, which become expensive, he said. The alliance touts
Wi-Fi Location as enabling location-based services on existing WiFi
infrastructure; there’s no need for beacons, for example.”

*Articles from Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - The Internet of Things: Mobile technology and location services in
   libraries.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=120541732>
   (*Library Technology Reports*, Jan.2017, p.5-28 | Jim Hahn)
   - Indoor location technologies create CRM opportunities for retailers.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=119758425>
   (*CRM Magazine*, Dec.2016, p.15 | Sam Del Rowe)
   - Understanding customer experience throughout the customer journey.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=119129834>
   (*Journal of Marketing*, Nov.2016, p.69-96 | Katherine N. Lemon and
   Peter C. Verhoef)

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast