[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #569: Your shopping experience is now augmented

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 22 10:30:33 EST 2017

OPLIN 4cast #569: Your shopping experience is now augmented
November 22nd, 2017

[image: augmented view on smartphone] With the approach of Black Friday
(and Cyber Monday), our thoughts likely turn to shopping. Whether we do it
in a store or online, we're generally familiar with how shopping
works...but technology is working to change our shopping experiences in
some very fundamental ways.

One of the most immediately visible ways is how some companies are now
integrating augmented reality (AR). If you thought AR was purely for
Pokemon Go (or the forthcoming Harry Potter AR game
<https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/16623784/niantic-labs-pokemon-go-harry-potter-ar>),
guess again. As long as augmented reality can help to level up profits,
companies are going to use it to level up our buying experiences.

   -
   - Amazon adds an AR shopping feature to its iOS app
   <https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/01/amazon-adds-an-ar-shopping-feature-to-its-ios-app/?ncid=rss>
   [TechCrunch] "Amazon today is introducing a new feature called AR View that
   lets customers visualize online products in their own living space, using
   their smartphone camera. Launched today in the Amazon app for iOS devices,
   AR View offers the ability to view thousands of products for the home or
   office – including furniture, electronics, toys, games, home décor and more
   – in augmented reality."
   - Target uses augmented reality to help you shop for furniture
   <https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/25/targets-augmented-reality-mobile-furniture/>
   [Endgadget] " Target calls the feature "See It In Your Space," because,
   like Ikea's Place app for iOS, you can literally use it to see what a piece
   of furniture would look like in your home."
   - Williams-Sonoma places $112 million bet on AR shopping
   <http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/17/technology/williams-sonoma-outward/index.html>
   [CNN] "Williams-Sonoma, which also owns West Elm, Pottery Barn and its
   namesake kitchen brand, announced on Thursday it is acquiring augmented
   reality and 3D imaging startup Outward for $112 million. The acquisition is
   part of a larger retail trend to help shoppers visualize what products
   would look like in the home."
   - Augmented Reality (AR) apps is about to become more integrated in our
   lives
   <https://medium.com/startupsco/augmented-reality-ar-apps-is-about-to-become-more-integrated-in-our-lives-58670686ee5f>
   [Medium] "Apple’s goal is to create the largest AR platform in the world
   and put it on equal footing with the smartphone."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Why Every Organization Needs an Augmented Reality Strategy
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=125759951&site=ehost-live>
   (Porter, M. E., & Heppelmann, J. E. (2017). . *Harvard Business Review*,
   *95*(6), 46-57.)
   - Seeing the Realities of Augmented Reality
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=126046741&site=ehost-live>
   (Del ROowe, S. (2017). S *CRM Magazine*, *21*(11), 22-26.)
   - Augmented Reality Goes to Work
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=125284140&site=ehost-live>
   (Dickson, B. (2017).  *PC Magazine*, 90-102.)

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast