[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4cast #563: Two prominent deaths announced this week

OPLIN Support via OPLIN4cast oplin4cast at lists.oplin.org
Wed Oct 11 10:30:02 EDT 2017

OPLIN 4cast #563: Two prominent deaths announced this week
October 11th, 2017

[image: Death at grave site] It's the end of an era...actually, it's the
end of *two* eras. This week, we lose two iconic services: AOL Messenger,
and the Windows Phone. While many of us likely never owned a Windows-based
phone (thus, the reason it will be with us no longer), most of us probably
have used AOL Messenger, at least at one time. Both services bid us adieu
this week, although their dates of departure are somewhat different. AOL
Messenger will shut down on December 15, 2017. However, the Windows phone
platform will have a more leisurely death; bug fixes will still be
provided, but no future new development will be occurrin

   -
   - Saying goodbye to the proto-social network of AOL Instant Messenger
   <https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/remembering-aol-instant-messenger-my-first-social-network/>
   [Ars Technica] "Looking back now, I realize that AIM profile was my first
   ephemeral blog. Going to college in the years before ubiquitous mobile text
   messaging and social media profiles, AIM's Away Messages and profile pages
   became a proto-social network for me and a group of peers looking for ways
   to keep easy tabs on each other. Friday's announcement that AIM
   would finally shut down after 20 years got me thinking about how we used it
   to share our status updates years before the online world would be
   dominated by Twitter, Facebook, and the constant newsfeed."
   - AIM Is Shutting Down
   <https://lifehacker.com/end-of-an-era-aim-is-shutting-down-this-year-1819216746>[Lifehacker]
   "In a blog post announcing the news, Michael Albers, VP of Communications
   Product at Oath, described the important of AIM while admitting that the
   messaging service hasn’t been relevant for many years."
   - Microsoft just buried Windows Phone... on Twitter
   <http://mashable.com/2017/10/09/windows-phone-dies-on-twitter>
   [Mashable] "None other than long-time Microsoft executive and the man who
   once championed the Windows Phone platform, Joe Belfiore, took out a
   140-character stake on Sunday and jammed it through Windows mobile's barely
   beating heart."
   - Windows Phone is now officially dead: A sad tale of what might have
   been
   <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/windows-phone-is-now-officially-dead-a-sad-tale-of-what-might-have-been/>[Ars
   Technica] "During the weekend, Microsoft's Joe Belfiore tweeted
   confirmation of something that has been suspected for many
   months: Microsoft is no longer developing new features or new hardware for
   Windows Mobile. Existing supported phones will receive bug fixes and
   security updates, but the platform is essentially now in maintenance mode."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Goodbye: AOL discontinuing pioneering Instant Messenger
   <http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=APab2c1b5d0ba44d0f851835c4f49d0272&site=pov-live>
   (The Associated, P. (2017))
   - Goodbye: Pioneering AOL Instant Messenger to be discontinued
   <http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=APb7b4ca03f6534d6f9b5213f4db7a8898&site=pov-live>
   (Patrick, Mairs - Associated, P. (2017))
   - Bill Gates Uses an Android Phone
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=125362743&site=ehost-live>(Hackett,
   R. (2017).  *Fortune.Com*, 1. )

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast