[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #577: They're all over the news: are they in your home?

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 17 10:30:00 EST 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #577: They're all over the news: are they in your home?
January 17th, 2018

[image: Smart Assistant] My son has been after me to buy an Alexa or a
Google Home, after he saw one in action at a friend's house. "They're
sooooo cool!" he explains. Despite the fact that he has two extremely geeky
parents, my son has yet to succeed in convincing us to buy one of these
devices. (Sorry, we're mean, stingy and justifiably concerned about the privacy
risks
<https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/hey-alexa-how-secure-are-voice-activated-assistants-you-n824566>
.)

Nevertheless, many people have purchased one of these types of devices:
according to NPR and Edison Research, 1 in 6 Americans own one
<https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/14/study-says-1-in-6-americans-has-smart-speaker/>.
As these smart assistants take over our collective homes, they're also
beginning to take over the news.

   -
   - Alexa is coming to Windows 10 PCs from HP, ASUS and others
   <https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/amazon-alexa-windows-10-pcs/>
   [Engadget] "'Hands-free access to Alexa on PCs can be helpful to customers
   in many ways, like making it simple to interact with your smart home, get
   news or weather, set timers, and more,' Amazon Alexa VP Steve Rabuchin said
   in a statement."
   - Your Chromecast or Google Home Might Be Screwing Up Your Wi-Fi
   <https://gizmodo.com/your-chromecast-or-google-home-might-be-screwing-up-you-1822112926>
   [Gizmodo] "That’s because, while the Archer C7 was particularly
   susceptible, the problem appears to be endemic to the whole line of Google
   Cast products."
   - Smart speaker adoption rate outpaces smartphones and tablets
   <https://www.gearbrain.com/smart-speaker-sales-in-us-2525669732.html>
   [Gear Brain] "According to the research, 42 percent of U.S. adults
   questioned said they deem their smart speaker "essential" to everyday life
   — and 65 percent say they would not go back to life without one, despite
   the threat to privacy that artificial intelligence can potentially pose."
   - Alexa, Google Assistant want to be everywhere in 2018
   <https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2018-voice-assistant-alexa-google-echo-smart-home-bixby/>
   [CNET] "These voice assistants want to be on the go with you, plugging into
   smart glasses, smart earbuds and even smart toilets."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Global Speakers Market Report 2017 - Smart Assistants Are Infiltrating
   Speakers - Research and Markets
   <http://proxy.ohiolink.edu:9099/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=bizwire.c79771616&site=ehost-live>
(Research
   and, M. (7). Global Speakers Market Report 2017 - Smart Assistants Are
   Infiltrating Speakers - Research and Markets. *Business Wire (English)*.)
   - Growing Up with Alexa
   <http://proxy.ohiolink.edu:9099/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=124643696&site=ehost-live>
   (Metz, R. (2017). Growing Up with Alexa. *MIT Technology Review*, *120*(5),
   70-74.)
   - AWS Gives Alexa a Prominent New Office Job
   <http://proxy.ohiolink.edu:9099/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=126520133&site=ehost-live>
   (Preimesberger, C. (2017). AWS Gives Alexa a Prominent New Office Job.
   *Eweek*, 1.)

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast