[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #600: Your home network may be under attack

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jun 27 10:30:02 EDT 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #600: Your home network may be under attack
June 27th, 2018

[image: 3D network grid] Last month, the FBI advised everyone to reboot
their home routers
<https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05/fbi-kindly-reboot-your-router-now-please/>
--
later upgrading their recommendation to update your firmware and do a
factory reset

Confession: I don't think I have it in me to break my home network into
separate subnets, frankly.

   -
   - Google to Fix Location Data Leak in Google Home, Chromecast
   <https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/06/google-to-fix-location-data-leak-in-google-home-chromecast/>
   [*Krebs on Security*] "New research shows that Web sites can run a
   simple script in the background that collects precise location data on
   people who have a Google Home or Chromecast device installed anywhere on
   their local network."
   - Prevent DNS Rebinding Attacks by Adjusting Your Router
   <https://lifehacker.com/prevent-dns-rebinding-attacks-by-adjusting-your-router-1827022291>
   [*Lifehacker*] "Dorsey also suggests switching your router’s DNS to a
   service like OpenDNS, rather than using your ISP’s DNS, as you can then use
   OpenDNS to filter suspicious IP addresses out of DNS responses."
   - Widely used D-Link modem/router under mass attack by potent IoT botnet
   <https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/06/widely-used-d-link-modemrouter-under-mass-attack-by-potent-iot-botnet/>
    [*Ars Technica*] "It’s not immediately clear what people with a
   vulnerable D-Link device can do to protect themselves from these attacks.
   Ars has asked both D-Link and Radware to provide guidance. In the meantime,
   people using one should strongly consider replacing it."
   - The best home Wi-Fi and networking gear
   <https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/20/the-best-home-wi-fi-and-networking-gear/>
    [*TechCrunch* and *Wirecutter*] "While fast and reliable internet
   starts with having a good provider, owning the right gear helps to support
   it. From network storage to the best router, we’ve compiled picks for
   helping you set up and secure a dependable home Wi-Fi network."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - "Strengthen Your Wifi
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=128561844&site=ehost-live>
   ." *Consumer Reports*, vol. 83, no. 5, May 2018, p. 11.
   - "DNS Rebinding
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=125638713&site=ehost-live>
   ." *Computer Desktop Encyclopedia*, Oct. 2017, p. 1.
   - "Your Home Might Be Secretly Carrying out Cyberattacks
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=118543363>."
Vijayan,
   Jaikumar. *Christian Science Monitor*, 05 Oct. 2016.

   subscribing to the following URL: http://www.oplin.org/4cast/
   index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast