[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #615: Can we keep turning a blind eye to Facebook?

OPLIN Support support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Oct 10 10:30:04 EDT 2018

OPLIN 4Cast #615: Can we keep turning a blind eye to Facebook?
October 10th, 2018

[image: Woman covering her eyes with her hands] I think about quitting
Facebook. A *lot*. There was a time in my life when I couldn't imagine
living without it, but that time is now long past. Not only do I imagine
life without the social platform, I now outright fantasize about it.
Articles about how to do it and accounts from those who have
<https://medium.com/s/story/how-to-quit-facebook-for-good-from-10-people-who-have-76658c8b6ed8>fascinate
and tempt me constantly.

Yet, I'm still on Facebook. It's become too convenient of a hub: not only
do I connect to actual friends and family, but it's also the (sometimes
only) place where I can get communications about parenting, hobbies, my
son's school activities and far more.  I often feel that quitting Facebook
would be the social equivalent of putting on a tin foil hat and then hiding
under a rock. I literally would stop receiving information I actually need.
It's amazing how much of my life has condensed to one online location.

Last week, Facebook had a massive security breach