[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #676: Face it: they're watching

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Dec 11 10:30:03 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #676: Face it: they're watching
December 11th, 2019

[image: Big brother electronic eye concept, technologies for the global] I
was stunned last week when it was announced that airport face recognition
scans would soon include US citizens. The Department of Homeland Security
quickly backed away from that plan, but with the world on track to have
deployed one billion cameras by 2021
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/9/21002515/surveillance-cameras-globally-us-china-amount-citizens>,
is there any doubt that our faces will inevitably be tracked by all-seeing
electronic eyes?

   -
   - China Uses DNA to Map Faces, With Help From the West
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/business/china-dna-uighurs-xinjiang.html>
   [*New York Times*] "Sketching someone’s face based solely on a DNA
   sample sounds like science fiction. It isn’t."
   - After criticism, Homeland Security drops plans to expand airport face
   recognition scans to US citizens
   <https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/05/homeland-security-drops-airport-citizens-face-scans/>
   [*TechCrunch*] "The spokesperson for Customs and Border Protection said
   the agency 'initially considered' including U.S. citizens in its face
   recognition checks at airports and other ports of entry 'because having
   separate processes for foreign nationals and U.S. citizens at ports of
   entry creates logistical and operational challenges that impact security,
   wait times and the traveler experience.'"
   - Portland, the largest city in Oregon, plans to propose first facial
   recognition ban affecting private companies
   <https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/12/03/facial-recognition-portland-oregon-ban/2601966001/>
   [*USA Today*] "'We need to take a strong stand that the automated
   surveillance state is not welcome in the city of Portland,' Portland
   Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty said."
   - Why I Opt Out of Facial Recognition
   <https://fortune.com/2019/12/04/facial-recognition-opt-out/> [*Fortune*]
   "No one told me how or where this digital representation of my face would
   be stored. Would it be encrypted? Who would have access to the database?
   Could I delete my data at will? The paucity of answers made me too
   uncomfortable."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Crelin, Joy. “Facial Recognition Technology: An Overview
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=124174935&site=pov-live>
   .” *Points of View: Facial Recognition Technology*, July 2017, p. 1.
   - Geitgey, Adam. "Deep Learning: Face Recognition
   <https://www.lynda.com/Python-tutorials/Deep-Learning-Face-Recognition/628706-2.html>."
   *LinkedIn Learning*, September 21, 2018.
   - eWeek Editors. “Five Positive Use Cases for Facial Recognition
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=139080575&site=ehost-live>
   .” *EWeek*, Oct. 2019.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.