[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #627: Think you're being stalked? You're not wrong

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 2 10:31:06 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #627: Think you're being stalked? You're not wrong
January 2nd, 2018

[image: personal target consumer markeitng on white background. personal
target sign. flat style.] For a long time, I've resisted purchasing a voice
assistant for my home. The idea of having something "always listening"
seems too intrusive to me (and, yes, I know my phone is already doing that,
but I'm good with the cognitive dissonance). However, the latest news from
the advertising realm has me realizing that Alexa and her ilk might
actually be the *least* of my worries.

   -
   - Walmart secured a patent to eavesdrop on shoppers and employees
   <https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/18151738/walmart-eavesdrop-patent-customer-employee-privacy>
   [The Verge] "That’s where the intrigue stops and the anxiety begins. The
   system wouldn’t just be an anti-theft tool, but a way to also monitor
   employee interactions with customers and possibly monitor what customers
   are saying in real time about products."
   - IRL Ads Are Taking Scary Inspiration From Social Media
   <https://medium.com/s/thenewnew/irl-ads-are-taking-scary-inspiration-from-social-media-7088e8241beb>[Medium]
   "
   During this year’s Fashion Week in New York, a digital billboard ad for
   New Balance used A.I. technology to detect and highlight
   pedestrians wearing “exceptional” outfits. A billboard advertisement for
   the Chevy Malibu recently targeted drivers on Interstate 88 in Chicago by
   identifying the brand of vehicle they were driving, then serving ads
   touting its own features in comparison.  "
   - Is Instagram Ear Hustling Your Conversation to Create Targeted Ads?
   <https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/288044>[Entrepreneur.com] " It
   doesn’t stop at what you view on other sites. Instagram users are receiving
   targeted advertisements based on the conversations they have with friends. "
   - Google’s Targeted Ads Are Coming to a Billboard Near You
   <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-08-10/google-s-targeted-ads-are-coming-to-a-billboard-near-you>
   [Bloomberg] " But it could mean that, when a train full of Borussia
   Dortmund fans arrives at Munich’s main station ahead of the Bayern Munich
   fixture, the advertising hoarding changes to show soccer cleats or beer,
   while on a Monday morning at rush hour it displays BMW ads for well-to-do
   commuters. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Targeted Ads Don't Just Make You More Likely to Buy -- They Can Change
   How You Think About Yourself
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=118685988&site=ehost-live>
   (Reczek, R. W., Summers, C., & Smith, R. (2016). Targeted Ads Don’t Just
   Make You More Likely to Buy -- They Can Change How You Think About
   Yourself. Harvard Business Review Digital Articles, 2–5.)
   - Verizon Launches VPN That Blocks Targeted Ads for $3.99 a Month
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=131034971&site=ehost-live>
   (Segarra, L. M. (2018). Verizon Launches VPN That Blocks Targeted Ads for
   $3.99 a Month. Fortune.Com, 1.)
   - Irish most afraid of targeted ads online sabotaging fair elections
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=7EH143469027&site=ehost-live>
   (Seán McCárthaigh. (2018). Irish most afraid of targeted ads online
   sabotaging fair elections. Times, The (United Kingdom), 6. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.