[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #629: The life-changing magic of tidying our digital selves

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 16 10:30:01 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #629: The life-changing magic of tidying our digital selves
January 16th, 2018

[image: file in database - laptop with ring binders] I am lucky in that I
have a wonderful, loving mother-in-law. While she has many wonderful
qualities, organization, especially digital, is not one of them. I spent
many hours this weekend managing her email. I must have unsubscribed her
from the lists of hundreds of retailers, including ones I didn't even
recognize. Political campaigns, local businesses, wellness newsletters,
magazines and more...and the emails were nearly *all* unread. All in all, I
cleared her inbox of more than 27,000 emails that were all
commercially-related. There are still thousands more that are from actual
people she knows, and I'm not sure I'm ready to go there, yet.

The idea of purging one's life of unnecessary detritus has always been
around, but has taken on new life with the success of Netflix's show Tidying
Up with Marie Kondo <https://www.netflix.com/title/80209379>. Although
Kondo's book made bestseller lists in 2014, the Netflix program has caused
much more of a stir, and people have started applying Kondo's method in
droves. This new urge for Americans to purge, organize and tidy up their
lives has even caused an upswing for thrift stores
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/entertainment/marie-kondo-konmari-tidying-up-netflix-trnd/index.html>.
But what about digital stuff? Can we do better with that, and focus only
those things that "spark joy?" Of course.

   -
   - How to KonMari Your Way to a Better Digital Life
   <https://www.pcmag.com/feature/352397/how-to-konmari-your-way-to-a-happier-digital-life>
   [Mashable] "The corollary here is to go through your computer and phone and
   get rid of things you've been meaning to read sometime for way too long:
   bookmarks, endless tabs, ebooks, and things you saved to Pocket. As Kondo
   says, "I'm afraid that from personal experience I can tell you right now,
   'sometime' never comes.'"
   - Marie Kondo, Please Tidy Up Our Digital Lives
   <https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a25860798/marie-kondo-netflix-tidying-up-interview/>
   [Esquire] " Some of the same questions you explore when you're physically
   tidying your home apply to the digital space. Is the information you have
   at hand truly making you happy? I think that's a very important question to
   ask. "
   - The KonMari Method Applied to Your Digital Life
   <https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/digital-konmari-method/> [MakeUseOf.com]
   "
   I think the Downloads folder is a perfect place to start. It’s much like
   a clothing closet: there’s a ton of stuff in there, and some of it is
   great, but a lot of it is easy to discard. There are probably tons of
   things you don’t use or need: installation files, multiple copies of the
   same documents, GIFs that you used once, ZIP files, and so on. "
   - 4 Easy Tips to Clear Inbox Clutter from a World-Famous Tidying Guru
   <https://www.inc.com/betsy-mikel/the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-email-marie-kondos-hacks.html>[Inc]
   " The elusive inbox zero seems ever-more-impossible to reach. Old
   unanswered emails, new ones always coming in...it's seriously stressful and
   often an enemy to productivity. Reply All, a podcast about the internet,
   even created a fake holiday called Email Debt Forgiveness Day to help
   combat the anxiety our emails cause. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Marie Kondo's reality show: A place for everything, even gratitude
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=wapo.7f806e7a-0ad1-11e9-88e3-989a3e456820>
   ( Hank Stuever. (12AD 2018). Marie Kondo’s reality show: A place for
   everything, even gratitude. *Washington Post, The*. )
   - People Believe There Are Philosophical Similarities Between Marie
   Kondo and Ariana Grande
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2460/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=6a5856c5-0c93-4cab-9fc3-0f419afbaa52%40sessionmgr120&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=133872836&db=buh>
   ( Lang, C. (2019). People Believe There Are Philosophical Similarities
   Between Marie Kondo and Ariana Grande. *Time.Com*, N.PAG. )
   - Marie Kondo the Queen of Clean
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=112553403&site=ehost-live>
   ( Matsumoto, N. (2016). MARIE KONDO The Queen of Clean. *People*, *85*(6),
   63. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.