[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #636: Facebook's latest betrayal of your data

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 6 10:30:01 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #636: Facebook's latest betrayal of your data
March 6th, 2019

[image: iot smart industry robot 4.0 agriculture
concept,agronomist,farmer(blurred) using smart glasses (augmented mixed
virtual reality,artificial intelligence technology) to monitoring
autonomous robotics] This week, a friend said to me, "If Facebook fell into
the sun about now, I'm not sure I'd be sad."

Personally, I was having a pretty good Facebook Week, generally: someone I
was close to 40 years ago (!) reached out to friend me, I participated in
some fun promotions, and a closed group I belong to kept me entertained
with their hilarious conversations.

I haven't turned on multi-factor authentication for Facebook -- partly
because it doesn't seem that important to me and mostly because I had an
intuition that my phone number probably wasn't safe in Facebook's hands.
Score one point for my intuition.<

   -
   - Facebook won’t let you opt out of its phone number ‘look up’ setting
   <https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/03/facebook-phone-number-look-up/> [
   *TechCrunch*] "Last year, Facebook was forced to admit that after months
   of pestering its users to switch on two-factor by signing up their phone
   number, it was also using those phone numbers to target users with ads."
   - How to Keep Your Phone Number (Sort of) Private on Facebook
   <https://lifehacker.com/how-to-keep-your-phone-number-sort-of-private-on-face-1833036687>
   [*Lifehacker*] "Facebook can still find your phone number without you
   even providing it (yep). How? According to Burge, Facebook shares its
   information with everybody, including Instagram and WhatsApp (they own
   both). If any friend logs in using those accounts and accepts access to
   their contacts, it’s entirely possible they can still locate you."
   - Facebook won't keep your two-factor phone number truly private
   <https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/04/facebook-2fa-phone-number/> [
   *Engadget*] "Third-party systems, like Google Authenticator and Duo
   Security can also be used to add an additional layer of protection onto
   your account. That will be small comfort to those who engaged the security
   before the rules were changed, however."
   - Facebook’s Phone Number Policy Could Push Users to Not Trust
   Two-Factor Authentication
   <https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kzdxjx/facebook-phone-number-two-factor-authentication>
   [*Motherboard*] "Facebook’s decision to use phone numbers that were
   given to it for a specific security purpose for reasons other than security
   are a betrayal, and is training people more broadly that turning over more
   personal information to an internet company for security features could
   backfire."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Mlot, Stephanie. “Facebook Wants Your Phone Number for Security
   Purposes
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=131911193&site=ehost-live>
   .” *PC Magazine*, June 2012, p. 1.
   - Dmitrienko, Alexandra, et al. “Security Analysis of Mobile Two-Factor
   Authentication Schemes
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=99233743>
   .” *Intel Technology Journal*, vol. 18, no. 4, Nov. 2014, pp. 138–161.
   - Roberts, Jeff John. “Big Tech Vs. Big Lawsuits
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134726221&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Fortune*, vol. 179, no. 3, Mar. 2019, pp. 29–30.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   - *Live Bookmark.* If you're using the Firefox web browser, you can go
   to the 4cast website (http://www.oplin.org/4cast/) and click on the
   orange "radio wave" icon on the right side of the address bar. In Internet
   Explorer 7, click on the same icon to view or subscribe to the 4cast RSS
   feed.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.