[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #672: Who do you trust with your medical data?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 13 10:35:18 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #672: Who do you trust with your medical data?
November 13th, 2019

[image: Medicine doctor holding red heart shape in hand and icon medical]
As a librarian, I tend to see most problems as "information problems,"
including—or maybe *especially*—health care. I appreciate how "Dr. Google"
(when it's not stoking my hypochondria) can advise me on the treatment of
minor ailments. I am annoyed and comforted by the extra level of
protections I see around my own medical data.

My tech news feeds were full of stories that have me pondering the balance:
how do we have the necessary protections and privacy to prevent abuse and
exploitation, while still allowing the data to flow freely for the best and
most timely medical care? Do we trust Apple to be the courier of our
medical records, but not Google?

   -
   - Study: Ransomware, Data Breaches at Hospitals tied to Uptick in Fatal
   Heart Attacks
   <https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/11/study-ransomware-data-breaches-at-hospitals-tied-to-uptick-in-fatal-heart-attacks/>
   [*Krebs on Security*] "The researchers found that for care centers that
   experienced a breach, it took an additional 2.7 minutes for suspected heart
   attack patients to receive an electrocardiogram."
   - Apple opens up its health records service to veterans with iPhones
   <https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/apple-opens-up-its-health-records-service-to-veterans-with-iphones.html>
   [*CNBC*] "The move enables veterans to see their medical information in
   one place and share it with their doctors, even if they seek care from
   multiple providers."
   - Google Secretly Tests Medical Records Search Tool On Nation’s Largest
   Nonprofit Health System, Documents Show
   <https://www.forbes.com/sites/jilliandonfro/2019/11/11/google-ascension-project-nightingale-electronic-medical-records/#741782027a0a>
   [*Forbes*] "The project involves moving patient records onto Google’s
   cloud servers and includes a search product that allows Ascension
   healthcare providers to see an 'overview page' about their patients. The
   page includes complete patient information as well as notes about patient
   medical issues, test results and medications, including information from
   scanned documents."
   - Our partnership with Ascension
   <https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/inside-google-cloud/our-partnership-with-ascension>
   [*Google Cloud Blog*] "To be clear: under this arrangement, Ascension’s
   data cannot be used for any other purpose than for providing these services
   we’re offering under the agreement, and patient data cannot and will not be
   combined with any Google consumer data."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Pratt, Mary K. “Could Big Tech Succeed in Revolutionizing Health IT?
   Apple, Google, Others Are Making Presence; Regulatory Hurdles Could Stunt
   Innovation
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=129125545>
   .” *Ophthalmology Times*, vol. 43, no. 6, Apr. 2018, pp. 62–65.
   - Levy, Steven. “Web Surfer, Heal Thyself
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=30082413>
   .” *Newsweek*, vol. 151, no. 9, Mar. 2008, p. 16.
   - “Hospitals Become Major Target for Ransomware
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=114675599&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Network Security*, vol. 2016, no. 4, Apr. 2016, pp. 1–2.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.