[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #674: Fighting for the Future of the Web

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 27 10:30:01 EST 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #674: Fighting for the Future of the Web
November 27th, 2019

[image: Medieval knight on horse carrying a flag] Last year
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/opinion/tim-berners-lee-saving-the-internet.html>,
web inventor Tim Berners-Lee called on governments, citizens, and industry
to create a set of guiding principles to face the worst abuses of
web—manipulation, election hacking, disinformation, fomenting violence—and
restore the promise of the web as a global force for good. This week,
his Contract
for the Web <https://contractfortheweb.org/> was unveiled. The contract
documents nine core principles for a better internet future, including
affordable internet access, privacy enforcement, and freedom from
censorship.

   -
   - I Invented the World Wide Web. Here’s How We Can Fix It
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/24/opinion/world-wide-web.html> [*New
   York Times*] "The Contract for the Web is a global plan of action
   created over the past year by activists, academics, companies, governments
   and citizens from across the world to make sure our online world is safe,
   empowering and genuinely for everyone."
   - This is Tim Berners-Lee's grand plan to save the web from digital
   dystopia
   <https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-is-tim-berners-lees-grand-plan-to-save-the-web-from-digital-dystopia/>
   [*ZDNet*] "The contract says, for example, that governments should
   ensure everyone can connect to the internet, and should keep all of the
   internet available all the time, while tech companies are urged to make the
   internet affordable and accessible to everyone, and respect consumers'
   privacy and personal data."
   - Tim Berners-Lee unveils global plan to save the web
   <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/24/tim-berners-lee-unveils-global-plan-to-save-the-internet>
   [*Guardian*] "We could end up with a digital dystopia if we don’t turn
   things around. It’s not that we need a 10-year plan for the web, we need to
   turn the web around now."
   - What’s a Digital Bill of Rights Without Enforcement?
   <https://www.wired.com/story/whats-digital-bill-rights-without-enforcement/>
   [*Wired*] "It can be hard to take the commitments of companies like
   Facebook and Google to respect user privacy at face value given the
   companies’ zeal for slurping up enormous amounts of user data."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Gaines, Ann Graham. “Tim Berners-Lee & the Development of the World
   Wide Web
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=pwh&AN=9225936&site=pov-live>
   .” *Tim Berners-Lee & the Development of the World Wide Web*, Jan. 2002,
   p. 4.
   - Brooker, Katrina. “‘I Was Devastated’: The Man Who Invented the World
   Wide Web Has Some Regrets
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=130425774&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Vanity Fair*, vol. 60, no. 8, Aug. 2018, p. 62.
   - Deibert, Ronald, and Rafal Rohozinski. "International Organization and
   Cybergovernance
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2595/internationalstudies/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190846626.001.0001/acrefore-9780190846626-e-69>
   ." *Oxford Research Encyclopedia of International Studies*.
November 30, 2017.
   Oxford University Press.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.