[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #662: Privacy, Pelotons, and paranoia

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Sep 4 10:30:14 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #662: Privacy, Pelotons, and paranoia
September 4th, 2019

[image: Cyber spying digital concept with spy eye 3D illustration] A few
weeks ago, I wondered if there was an introductory exercise regimen to ease
a neophyte into cycling, like the way Couch-to-5K gets me out jogging. I
did some searches, read a couple articles, and the next day every single ad
on Facebook was given over to high-end exercise bikes.

I went briefly crazy, initiating a massive change in my browser settings
and online habits: clearing cookies after each session, using incognito
mode on my phone, switching to a more private search engine, flushing my
passwords and form settings out of the browser. It's been a little
inconvenient, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm not kidding myself: I know how information works, and I know I'm not
remotely anonymous online. But my new attention to leaving less obvious
footprints in my online meanderings was paying off last week, as there has
been some very interesting debates about the current state and future
directions of personal digital privacy.

   -
   - I Visited 47 Sites. Hundreds of Trackers Followed Me
   <https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/23/opinion/data-internet-privacy-tracking.html>
   [*New York Times*] "The big story is as you’d expect: that everything
   you do online is logged in obscene detail, that you have no privacy. And
   yet, even expecting this, I was bowled over by the scale and detail of the
   tracking."
   - Privacy Fundamentalism
   <https://stratechery.com/2019/privacy-fundamentalism/> [*Stratechery*]
   "My critique of Manjoo’s article specifically and the ongoing privacy
   hysteria broadly is not simply about definitions or philosophy. It’s about
   fundamental assumptions. The default state of the Internet is the endless
   propagation and collection of data: you have to do work to *not* collect
   data on one hand, or leave a data trail on the other.
   - Google proposes new privacy and anti-fingerprinting controls for the
   web
   <https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/22/google-proposes-new-privacy-and-anti-fingerprinting-controls-for-the-web/>
   [*TechCrunch*] "To prevent the kind of fingerprinting that makes your
   machine uniquely identifiable as yours, Google is proposing the idea of a
   privacy budget. With this, a browser could allow websites to make enough
   API calls to get enough information about you to group you into a larger
   cohort but not to the point where you give up your anonymity. Once a site
   has exhausted this budget, the browser stops responding to any further
   calls."
   - Deconstructing Google’s excuses on tracking protection
   <https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2019/08/23/deconstructing-googles-excuses-on-tracking-protection/>
   [*Freedom to Tinker*] "This isn’t the first time that Google has used
   disingenuous arguments to suggest that a privacy protection will backfire.
   We’re calling this move privacy gaslighting, because it’s an attempt to
   persuade users and policymakers that an obvious privacy protection—already
   adopted by Google’s competitors—isn’t actually a privacy protection."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - west, jessamyn. “Library Privacy in an Age of Browser Fingerprinting
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=137300214&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Computers in Libraries*, vol. 39, no. 5, June 2019, pp. 12–14.
   - Field, Matthew. “Snooper Firms Use ‘Fingerprints’ to Register Your
   Every Internet Move
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=8Q2150794638>
   .” *Daily Telegraph (London)*, July 2019, p. 5
   - Hill, Kashmir. “Cashing In On Privacy Paranoia
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=88807708&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Forbes*, vol. 191, no. 10, July 2013, p. 26.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.