[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #665: Is technology the answer to distracted driving?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Sep 25 10:32:40 EDT 2019

OPLIN 4Cast #665: Is technology the answer to distracted driving?
September 25th, 2019

[image: man using phone while driving the car] We all know that texting and
driving don't mix. Driving on the Pennsylvania turnpike this weekend, I saw
at least one sign that said "THIS COULD BE YOUR LAST TEXT." Distracted
driving, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
<https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/index.html>,
kills 9 people and injures over a thousand, every day. Our love of the
convenience of technology is literally dangerous, at least in a moving
vehicle.

An old supervisor of mine had a saying that I still apply regularly to my
work: "There are no good technological solutions for behavioral problems."
I have often found that to be true. Yet, that doesn't seem to have stopped
companies from trying to apply more technology to this issue. Or maybe they
should have worked for my old boss?

   -
   - Car Companies Sharpen Focus on Curbing Distracted Driving
   <https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-companies-sharpen-focus-on-curbing-distracted-driving-11560591000>
   [Wall Street Journal] " But in many cases, those built-in systems
   contribute to the problem because of glitchy software and difficult-to-use
   displays that can be distracting in their own right, say analysts and
   safety advocates. Even when these solutions work well, many motorists still
   have trouble breaking the habit of reaching for their phones. "
   - Australia uses new technology to catch drivers on phones
   <https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/australia-technology-catch-drivers-phones-65794386>
   [ABC News] " An Australian state is attempting to persuade people to put
   down their smartphones while driving by rolling out cameras to prosecute
   distracted motorists."
   - Distracted by Tech While Driving? The Answer May Be More Tech
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/business/distracted-driving-technology.html>
   [New York Times] " This advanced driver-assistance technology can
   automatically bring a vehicle to a stop when a collision is imminent, and
   lane-departure systems that keep the vehicle between the lines are immune
   to distraction. "
   - New in-vehicle tech distracts older drivers, study shows
   <https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/new-in-vehicle-tech-distracts-older-drivers-study-shows-1813008/>
   [Las Vegas Review Journal] " Drivers between the ages of 55 and 75 were
   shown to have their eyes off the road for more than eight seconds longer
   than drivers ages 21-36 when using a navigation feature or tuning the
   radio, a AAA study revealed. "

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Travelers Institute Launches Every Second Matters℠ Fall Tour to Combat
   Distracted Driving
   <http://proxy.oplin.org:2054/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=bizwire.bw29758745>(
   The Travelers Institute. (9AD, December 2019). Travelers Institute Launches
   Every Second Matters℠ Fall Tour to Combat Distracted Driving. *Business
   Wire (English)*. )
   - Sonim, eBrake join forces to curtail distracted driving in fleets
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134085893&site=ehost-live>
   ( Sonim, eBrake join forces to curtail distracted driving in fleets.
   (2019). *Fleet Owner*, *114*(1), 18. )
   - The Role of Technology in DISTRACTED DRIVING
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2458/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=4b91c23c-052b-468c-9368-0ffe78bc912a%40sdc-v-sessmgr02&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=136797044&db=buh>(
   Law, B. (2019). The Role of Technology in DISTRACTED DRIVING. *Professional
   Safety*, *64*(6), 62–63. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.