[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #679: Accessibility and technology are still not a good match

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Thu Jan 2 11:17:22 EST 2020

 OPLIN 4Cast

OPLIN 4Cast #679: Accessibility and technology are still not a good match
January 2nd, 2020

[image: Man in wheelchair using a laptop] Accessibility for those with
disabilities is not a new idea, although it's far from being a normative
part of many planning processes (but it should be!). One area where it
certainly has lagged behind is in technology implementations. As we all
spend more time online and interacting directly with technology, it has
become increasingly apparent that not enough is done to accommodate those
with disabilities. That's beginning to change, but it's sometimes
frustratingly slow.

   -
   - Six airport initiatives launched for disabled passengers in 2019
   <https://www.airport-technology.com/features/six-airport-initiatives-launched-for-disabled-passengers-in-2019/>
   [Airport Technology] " In a partnership with Etihad, personal electric
   vehicle supplier WHILL and information technology company SITA, Abu Dhabi
   International Airport launched autonomous wheelchairs that allow travellers
   with reduced mobility to move around the airport without the assistance of
   a staff member."
   - The next decade will reshape how we think of technology accessibility
   <https://www.fastcompany.com/90444324/the-next-decade-will-reshape-how-we-think-of-technology-accessibility>
   [Fast Company] "For somebody who is blind, you can turn visual
   communication into something auditory, and for someone who is deaf, vice
   versa. 'But you can’t take information and transform it from cognitive to
   some other dimension,' Vanderheiden says. 'The biggest thing we’ve found in
   the last period of time is that many more people are having trouble
   accessing information than we had suspected.' "
   - How smart tech could transform disabled people's lives
   <https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-49989347>[BBC] "
   It's absolutely critical from our viewpoint that people with disabilities
   are part of the design process for these technologies, part of the
   evaluation testing, and that ultimately the product embraces the needs of
   disabled people at every stage - not in a kind of tick-box style where
   'we've created the product, now lets do some testing with the disabled
   users'. "
   - Assistive and accessible---3 life-changing technologies
   <https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3776581,00.html>
   [CTech by Calcalist] "An audio sign that helps people with impaired vision
   travel using public transport, a touchless system for controlling
   smartphones, and a smart robotic wheelchair—these technological
   developments that are changing the lives of those with disabilities and
   influencing their surroundings."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Accessibility, Technology and Librarianship
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=130595374&site=ehost-live>
   ( Moorefield-Lang, H. (2018). Accessibility, Technology, and
Librarianship. *Library
   Technology Reports*, *54*(4), 5. )
   - Enabling Accessibility Through Technology
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=138581944&site=ehost-live>(
   BANNER, P. (2019). Enabling Accessibility Through Technology. *Training*,
   *56*(5), 16–17. )
   - Tech-ommodations: Digital-age disability services: Models for managing
   assistive technology through partnerships between disability services and IT
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=139879354&site=ehost-live>
   ( Negrea, S. (2019). Tech-ommodations: Digital-age disability services:
   Models for managing assistive technology through partnerships between
   disability services and IT. *University Business*, 39–41. )

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.