[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #697: How is the pandemic affecting edtech?

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed May 6 10:31:06 EDT 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #697: How is the pandemic affecting edtech?
May 6th, 2020

[image: Laptop with the words e-learnin on screen set against a backdrop of
books] Over the past weeks, I've been repeatedly grateful for the
technology that has made it possible for my son to keep up with his
schoolwork. However, my son, a high school freshman, actually struggles
with completely-online classes. I spoke with his guidance counselor, who
told me that many kids are currently frustrated with online learning, and
that some have just checked out completely--refusing to do any online work
at all.

There's little doubt that things are unlikely return to exactly as they
were before the pandemic. And it made me wonder about the general state of
education technology (AKA "edtech"). As it turns out, the path ahead may an
interesting mix with some potholes.

   -
   - Mapping the EdTech Landscape in the Time of Coronavirus
   <https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3816954,00.html>
   [CTech] "With the goal of pushing EdTech innovation amidst the many issues
   it is aiming to solve, the UK Israel Tech Hub, in collaboration with
   leading UK and Israeli EdTech players such as MindCet, Nesta and Edtech
   Impact, is curating an interactive EdTech Startup Map. The map, set to be
   unveiled on May 18, will showcase solutions to challenges in K-12 education
   as a result of Covid-19, both in the UK and Israel."
   - EdTech Leaders Search for Answers Amid Pandemic
   <https://marketscale.com/industries/education-technology/edtech-leaders-answers-pandemic/>
   [Market Scale] "At the same time, educators look warily towards the fall
   and the long term. And some EdTech big thinkers have started to consider
   some answers to the question, “What’s next?” Din Heiman, Senior Vice
   President for the education software company Renaissance Learning, recently
   posted a provocative essay entitled 'A Farewell To EdTech.'"
   - How educators are keeping students engaged remotely
   <https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2020/05/how-educators-are-keeping-students-engaged-remotely>
   [EdTech Magazine] "When it comes to remote learning, keeping students
   engaged outside of the classroom can be tough. Teachers may find it
   challenging to provide hands-on activities to go with their lesson plans,
   maintain consistent interaction with their students and foster creativity
   and collaboration from a distance."
   - Money for edtech investment keeps flowing through pandemic
   <https://marketscale.com/industries/education-technology/money-for-edtech-investment-keeps-flowing-through-pandemic/>[Market
   Scale] "'As the world changes rapidly in response to COVID-19, traditional
   education delivery is changing precipitously,' said Jean Hammond, General
   Partner at LearnLaunch Accelerator.' We’ve been talking about ‘the future
   of education’ for too long and now the future is here. Unfortunately,
   education systems are underprepared. Technology can, eventually, aid in the
   delivery and communication for every learner — the gaps are more apparent
   now than ever before. This cohort features companies supporting this
   physical to digital transition across k-12, higher ed, and workforce.'"

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - EdTech Trends to Watch in 2020: What K-12 Leaders Need to Know: What
   the future of education technology could look like
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=141057889&site=ehost-live>
   (EdTech Trends to Watch in 2020: What K-12 Leaders Need to Know: What the
   future of education technology could look like. (2020). *District
   Administration*, *56*(1), 49.)
   - Popular Edtech Tools to Watch in 2020: micro:Maqueen
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=201912260317PR.NEWS.USPR.CN76053&site=ehost-live>
   Robot (PR Newswire. (2019, December 26). Popular Edtech Tools to Watch in
   2020: micro:Maqueen Robot. *PR Newswire US*.)
   - Iowa EdTech Accelerator begins its first cohort
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=142149785&site=ehost-live>
   (Iowa EdTech Accelerator begins its first cohort. (2020). *Corridor
   Business Journal*, *16*(35), 8.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.