[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #685: Working from home isn't the paradise we hoped for

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Sep 9 10:30:01 EDT 2020

OPLIN 4Cast #685: Working from home isn't the paradise we hoped for
September 9th, 2020

[image: Woman working from home on a laptop] I have to be up front here:
I've been a full-time telecommuter for over a dozen years. WFH, as it's now
called, is not a new situation for me. Over the years, many people have
wondered how I've handled the regular isolation and the temptations that
might surround me in my house. Suffice it to say, some people are
comfortable with this type of setup, and many are not.

With the advent of the pandemic, it's becoming increasingly clear that
there are lots of obstacles to effective WFH that can't always be cleared.
Some are tech-related and some issues are related to the different sorts of
stressors that can happen in the very different work environment.

   -
   - Netflix boss: Remote working has negative effects
   <https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54063648> [BBC] "“Not being able to
   get together in person, particularly internationally, is a pure negative,”
   Mr Hastings told the Wall Street Journal."
   - Nearly 16% of Those Newly Working from Home Have Connectivity Issues
   <https://smallbiztrends.com/2020/04/work-from-home-connectivity-issues.html>[New
   Business Trends] "Considering more than half (57%) of the U.S. workforce is
   now working from home because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the 15.5% who face
   daily connectivity issues represent a large number of people. The Waveform
   report says more than 10 million U.S. employees working from home are
   suffering from poor cell signal coverage and daily internet connectivity
   issues."
   - The Technological And Psychological Challenges Of Working From Home
   <https://www.forbes.com/sites/adigaskell/2020/04/03/the-technological-and-psychological-challenges-of-working-from-home/#10af7d5538db>[Forbes]
   "With large swathes of the population enduring extended periods of either
   self-isolation or working from home, the importance of connectivity cannot
   be underestimated."
   - The Tech Headaches of Working From Home and How to Remedy Them
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/technology/personaltech/working-from-home-problems-solutions.html#:~:text=Our%20most%20common%20work%2Dfrom,tailored%20and%20uncomfortable%20work%20stations.&text=The%20biggest%20of%20these%3A%20Less,gadgets%20and%20fewer%20work%20apps.>
   {NY Times] "Our most common work-from-home tech issues are the ones that
   slow down our productivity: unreliable internet connections, low-quality
   video calls, software programs that are too narrowly tailored and
   uncomfortable work stations."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Risk and Reward: Why Working from Home Can Increase Cybersecurity
   Threats
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=143757149&site=ehost-live>
   (Bednar, J. (2020). Risk and Reward: Why Working from Home Can Increase
   Cybersecurity Threats. *BusinessWest*, *36*(3), 37.)
   - What the Surge in Working From Home Means for Big Cities
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=144381451&site=ehost-live>
   (Bach, T. (2020). What the Surge in Working From Home Means for Big
Cities. *U.S.
   News & World Report - The Report*, C15.)
   - Structure is the key to ensure working from home pays off
   <https://proxy.oplin.org:2111/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=142895369&site=ehost-live>
   (Elizabeth O’Riordan. (2020, April 26). Structure is the key to ensure
   working from home pays off. *Mail on Sunday*, 60.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.