[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #746: Locating things better

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Apr 14 10:30:05 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #746: Locating things better
April 14th, 2021

[image: FOUND] Until I developed the obsessive habit, immediately upon
entering the house, of depositing my wallet and keys on a shelf near the
light switch, I was *always* hunting for them. Other OPLIN staff tell me
they or their spouses cannot function without their Tile trackers
<https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/>. Using augmented reality to help us
locate things is something we wrote about more than 10 years ago
<https://4cast.oplin.org/?p=1342>, but thanks to ultra-wideband (a
technology that many people had written off as obsolete) finding our stuff
is about to become a lot more accurate.

   -
   - Tile's next-gen tracker could use ultra-wideband tech
   <https://www.engadget.com/tile-uwb-tracker-report-232336331.html> [
   *Engadget*] "UWB is a relatively new short-range wireless communication
   protocol that has a handful of advantages over the ubiquitous Bluetooth.
   Its high-frequency waves can transmit spatial and directional data, making
   it more accurate at estimating the location of something."
   - Samsung's new SmartTag Plus uses augmented reality to help you find
   your keys
   <https://www.cnet.com/home/smart-home/samsungs-new-smarttag-plus-uses-augmented-reality-to-help-you-find-your-keys/>
   [*CNET*] "The SmartTag Plus uses Bluetooth and ultra wideband technology
   <https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s21-ultra-has-uwb-heres-how-ultra-wideband-tech-will-make-your-life-easier-faq/>
   locate items the tag is connected to. Then, with augmented reality
   technology using phone cameras, the SmartThings Find service on Galaxy
   devices will visually guide users to their lost items."
   - Apple accidentally confirms the existence of an unreleased product,
   AirTags
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/02/apple-accidentally-confirms-the-existence-of-an-unreleased-product-airtags/>
   [*TechCrunch*] "AirTags are believed to be small tracking tiles with
   Bluetooth connectivity that can be used to find lost items — just like
   Tile. The difference is that Apple’s AirTags will benefit from deeper
   integration with iOS, including within its 'Find My' app. There, the tags
   will show up in a new 'Items' tab allowing you to keep track of items that
   tend to get lost or stolen — like your keys, wallet or even your bike."
   - What is ultra-wideband and what does UWB do?
   <https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/156470-what-is-ultra-wideband-and-what-does-uwb-do>
   [*Pocket-lint*] "The advantage that UWB offers over existing
   technologies is that it's much better at ranging with greater accuracy, so
   two UWB devices would know where the other was with much greater precision
   than Bluetooth or GPS. Samsung describes UWB as a 'continuously scanning
   radar that can precisely lock onto an object, discover its location and
   communicate with it.'"

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Akos, Dennis, et al. “Ultra-Wideband and GPS: Can They Co-Exist?
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=5202493&site=ehost-live>
   ” *GPS World*, vol. 12, no. 9, Sept. 2001, p. 59.
   - PR Newswire. “People Are Precious - Wairco Focuses on Tracking Loved
   Ones Not Possessions in Anticipation of AirTag Release by Apple
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=202103171800PR.NEWS.USPR.UN13137&site=ehost-live>
   .” *PR Newswire US*, 17 Mar. 2021.
   - “Get Smart - and Never Be a ‘Loser’ Again
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=148523739&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Mail on Sunday*, 7 Feb. 2021, p. 54.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.