[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #738: I'm not a cat, and that's a good thing

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 17 10:33:40 EST 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #738: I'm not a cat, and that's a good thing
February 17th, 2021

[image: Various animals on a zoom call] Last summer, I suddenly began
appearing upside-down in virtual meetings. It was an amusing little glitch:
I use my laptop in tent mode
<https://storage.googleapis.com/gweb-uniblog-publish-prod/images/hero_Pixelbook.max-1000x1000.jpg>
while I work from a larger monitor and external keyboard, so the camera is
indeed upside down, but previously the software would correct the
orientation. I expected the problem to stop as suddenly as it began, but it
persists. Fortunately, none of my meetings at the time were as serious as a
court appearance, so I was spared the embarrassment of attorney Rod Ponton
who appeared as a cat <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDNP-SWgn2w> during
a virtual civil forfeiture hearing.

   -
   - Texas attorney's accidental cat filter caused by outdated desktop
   computer
   <https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-attorney-cat-filter-outdated-desktop>
[*Fox
   News*] "Lawyer was using assistant’s 10-year-old desktop Dell computer
   when he logged in for routine hearing in Presidio County, Texas."
   - How to get viral 'I'm not a cat' Zoom filter — Hint: You can't unless
   you have an old Dell laptop
   <https://www.laptopmag.com/news/how-to-get-viral-im-not-a-cat-zoom-filter-hint-you-cant-unless-you-have-an-old-dell-laptop>
   [*Laptop Mag*] "The now-defunct Live Cam Avatar software, created by a
   company called Reallusion, was described as an app that allowed users to
   disguise themselves as movie stars, furry friends and other animated
   characters."
   - Cat lawyer’s out-of-date software points to larger cybersecurity
   problems <https://fortune.com/2021/02/12/cat-lawyer-cybersecurity/> [
   *Fortune*] "Using technology that out of date, circa 2010, can render
   people open to bugs and hacks... More serious consequences include leaving
   openings for hackers to steal data, commit extortion, and other threats.
   Keeping one’s systems updated is, generally, the best way to guard against
   such perils."
   - How to turn on — and off! — a Zoom cat filter
   <https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/02/10/zoom-cat-filter/>
[*Washington
   Post*] "There are several different ways to get filters on a Windows PC
   or Mac computer, depending on how fancy you want to be. Some are built into
   Zoom itself, and others require outside software like Snap Camera."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - PR Newswire. “The Rise of the Real-Time Digital Double: Reallusion
   Unveils AI-Powered Headshot Plugin
   <http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=201912040700PR.NEWS.USPR.UN56504&site=ehost-live>
   .” *PR Newswire US*, 4 Dec. 2019.
   - JOHNSON, LEIF. “IOS 13: Everything That’s New with Augmented Reality
   <http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=140326284&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Macworld - Digital Edition*, vol. 37, no. 1, Jan. 2020, pp. 39–42.
   - Chow, Garrick. "Learning Zoom
   <https://www.lynda.com/Zoom-tutorials/Learning-Zoom/2800328-2.html>."
   Lynda.com from LinkedIn. Updated 29 May 2020.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.