[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #733: Tim Berners-Lee is remaking the Web to be private

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 13 10:30:01 EST 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #733: Tim Berners-Lee is remaking the Web to be private
January 13th, 2021

[image: Woman looking at a stream of binary data] Like me, perhaps you have
to come to feel that privacy online is nearly impossible. Personal control
of one's information is, at best, difficult to achieve and often not in the
realm of users who are not very tech-savvy. We're not the only ones who
feel that way. Even Tim Berners-Lee, the man widely accredited with the
creation of the web, acknowledges that the original intentions of his
invention have been subverted and it has turned into something dystopian.
In an effort to make something better, that accounts for the rights of the
individual over those of Big Tech, he's created a startup, called Inrupt,
that's been making news headlines.

   -
   - Who owns the web's data? The fightback against Big Tech's feudal lords
   has begun
   <https://www.economist.com/business/2020/10/22/who-owns-the-webs-data>
   [The Economist] " Inrupt, for instance, is working with the government of
   Flanders, a region of Belgium, to give every citizen a “pod” to store
   personal data. It hopes private firms will build user-friendly apps around
   the data, with people’s consent, says John Bruce, its co-founder. The
   better the apps, the more eager people will be to furnish it with their
   data."
   - He created the Web. Now he's out to remake the digital world
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/technology/tim-berners-lee-privacy-internet.html>[NY
   Times] "Companies could gain access to a person’s data, with permission,
   through a secure link for a specific task like processing a loan
   application or delivering a personalized ad. They could link to and use
   personal information selectively, but not store it."
   - We Need to Change How We Share Our Personal Data Online in the Age of
   COVID-19
   <https://time.com/5867314/we-need-to-change-how-we-share-our-personal-data-online-in-the-age-of-covid-19/>
   [TIME] "COVID-19 underscores how urgently we need a new approach to
   organizing and sharing personal data. You only have to look at the limited
   scope and the widespread adoption challenges of the pandemic apps offered
   by various tech companies and governments."
   - Tim Berners Lee’s startup Inrupt releases Solid privacy platform for
   enterprises
   <https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/08/tim-berners-lees-startup-inrupt-releases-solid-privacy-platform-for-enterprises/>
   [TechCrunch] "The difference between this and more conventional web or
   phone apps is that it is up to the user who can access this information and
   the application owner has to ask the user for permission and the user has
   to explicitly grant it and under what conditions."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Web Founder Launches Inrupt to Improve Internet Privacy.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=132117852&site=ehost-live>
   (Kerner, S. M. (2018). Web Founder Launches Inrupt to Improve Internet
   Privacy. *EWeek*, 1–2.)
   - Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee's Solid data-privacy project enters the
   real world.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=146929955&site=ehost-live>
   (Meyer, D. (2020). Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee’s Solid data-privacy
   project enters the real world. *Fortune.Com*, N.PAG.)
   - Web creator on a mission to solve data privacy woes
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=2W63499313774&site=ehost-live>(Nasir,
   S. (2018, October 16). Web creator on a mission to solve data
privacy woes. *Khaleej
   Times (7/2008 to 4/2009)*.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.