[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #735: TikTok, the Wellerman has finally come

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jan 27 10:30:01 EST 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #735: TikTok, the Wellerman has finally come
January 27th, 2021

[image: Old ship sailing into the sunset] Earlier last week, I was shocked
to hear my teenaged son loudly singing, from his room:

"

*Soon may the Wellerman comeTo bring us sugar and tea and rumOne day, when
the tonguin' is done                                 We'll take our leave
and go*"

Now, I'm a longtime fan of folk and Celtic music. Not only did I recognize
the song ("Wellerman <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9MuXhL66M>"), but
it should be noted that my son, although musically inclined (and plays an
Irish drum), simply doesn't sing. When I asked him where he'd heard the
song, he replied that it was all over TikTok and that sea shanties were
"now a thing." Indeed, as my own investigation of #seashanties on TikTok
showed, he was right.

   -
   - The Scottish postman behind 'Sea Shanty TikTok
   <https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-55661351>[BBC] "On
   TikTok, videos tagged #seashanty have had more than 70 million views.
   Google Trends even tweeted on Tuesday that "sea shanties" was being
   searched for more than it ever had in search engine's history."
   - The history of sea shanties – and why they’re such a hit in 2021
   <https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/sea-shanties-tiktok-history-the-longest-johns-b1789952.html>
   [Independent] "It’s not surprising, then, that shanties have struck such a
   chord at a time when we’re all stuck at home. They provide a communal feel,
   even when we feel far apart from our friends and loved ones. And that
   driving rhythm provides an energy and optimism that might just be strong
   enough to keep us cheerful through lockdown. "
   - How singing sea shanties can help you weather the pandemic
   <https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/sea-shanties-1.5876003> [CBC]
   "Shanties have been around since at least the 1600s. They originally
   helped sailors work in unison, McCann says, and their popularity
   soared during times of hardship. That, he says, makes them perfect for
   getting through quarantine, isolation and a pandemic."
   - Sea shanties have taken over TikTok. Here's why
   <https://www.cnet.com/news/why-sea-shanties-have-taken-over-tiktok/>
   [CNET] "It turns out lamenting being stuck on a whaling ship while running
   out of rum is the favored mood for the first week of 2021."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Why Sea Shanties Have Taken Over TikTok
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=6XN2021011610>
   (Why Sea Shanties Have Taken Over TikTok. (2021). *Weekend Edition
   Saturday (NPR)*.)
   - Sea shanties are the perfect antidote for lonely lockdowns.
   <http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=4HGINDDMGTCHPDSTRY000045136863>
   (HOMAS MURRAY. (2021, January 18). Sea shanties are the perfect antidote
   for lonely lockdowns. *Independent (UK)*.)
   - Internet's latest viral hit...a Scottish postie singing sea shanties!
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=148078034&site=ehost-live>
   (am Walker. (2021, January 15). Internet’s latest viral hit...a Scottish
   postie singing sea shanties! *Daily Mail*, 32.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.