[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #756: The robots aren't coming..they're already here

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Jun 23 10:32:06 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #756: The robots aren't coming..they're already here
June 23rd, 2021

[image: robot] While we all wait breathlessly to see if the Hubble Space
Telescope will pull through
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/06/21/hubble-telescope-payload-computer-nasa/5296061001/>,
there's other news of robots continuing their march into our every day
lives.

   -
   - Robotic landscaping startup Scythe emerges from stealth with $13.8M
   raise
   <https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/15/robotic-landscaping-startup-scythe-emerges-from-stealth-with-18-6m-raise/>
   [*TechCrunch*] "Landscaping is a relatively low-hanging fruit for
   robotics. There’s certainly a lot to be said for automating the process for
   those with large swaths of land. Toro, notably, recently acquired Left Hand
   Robotics, and iRobot has announced its own (since delayed) robotic mower."
   - Want Your Nails Done? Let a Robot Do It
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/technology/robot-manicure-nails.html>.
   [*New York Times*] "Don’t give up your regular appointment just yet.
   While all three companies have secured substantial outside financing, the
   devices are still being tested and altered before their full market debuts.
   And none of the three are offering a full salon-type manicure with shaping
   and buffing. Still, they could ultimately upend the growing nail care
   market."
   - A Tentacle-Headed Robot Amuses Your Pets While You're Away
   <https://www.wired.com/review/rocki-robot/> [*Wired*] "Inviting
   Wi-Fi-enabled cameras into your home is a big concern. Even the most
   reputable companies have been hacked or have security breaches."
   - How My Robot Vacuum Got Me Through the Pandemic
   <https://gizmodo.com/how-my-robot-vacuum-got-me-through-the-pandemic-1847124298>
   [*Gizmodo*] "Frankly, I needed all the help I could get. Being locked
   inside for months on end inevitably breeds clutter, and that clutter can
   kick off a vicious mental cycle that leaves you too depressed, too
   overwhelmed, and just too dang tired to actually start cleaning.

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Larkin, Marilynn. “Personal Robots Help Reduce Isolation, Boost
   Engagement during the Pandemic and Beyond
   <https://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmh&AN=147132817>
   .” *Journal on Active Aging*, vol. 19, no. 5, Oct. 2020, pp. 36–39.
   - Joseph, Lawrence. “What Robots Can’t Do
   <https://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lfh&AN=147141778>
   .” *Commonweal*, vol. 147, no. 11, Dec. 2020, pp. 44–47.
   - Lawrie  TA, Liu  H, Lu  D, Dowswell  T, Song  H, Wang  L, Shi  G.
"Robot‐assisted
   surgery in gynaecology
   <https://www-cochranelibrary-com.proxy.oplin.org/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD011422.pub2/full?highlightAbstract=robot>."
   *Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews*, 2019, Issue 4. Art. No.:
   CD011422. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011422.pub2. Accessed 22 June 2021.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.